Hopburst

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kegged my Hopburst!

awesome aroma from the beer,
a very wet hop flavour that i'm not so much a fan of
and a great bitterness that comes from the 10 minute dump of hops!

cant wait for this to be carbed up :icon_drunk:
had to put it on the gas cos i found out that the gas post is leaking

Here is the yeast cake after kegging, with Motueka flowers from the cube... one clogged the fill tap, but I managed to work it. A saw a few make it into the keg... I'm hoping they wont block the pickup tube!

IMG_3049.JPG

bum how hard is it to understand that we weigh out uneven amounts of alpha acid hops then throw it into the boil with gay abandon
hoping that the alpha utilisation is goind to be the same when it is randomly repeated in the next brewing session?
once again you are on the money i dont understand that logic
speedster

speedie, i think its you that does understand the logic. if you dont want to brew this the way its being discussed, dont!!!!!!! no body cares what your thoughts are on this, also the amounts we are talking about arent really going to make a huge difference in the final product at the volumes we are talking also its impractical to weigh them out to the 0.001 of a gram..

why dont you go back to trying to figure out what makes the lightning in beer and leave topics like this alone rather than just picking the crap out of a tried and proven method. might i point out that a major commercial brewery in the states does this method so its definitely repeatable.
heres a few
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boatrocker-hoppbier/134314/
http://www.britishbrewer.com/category/ingredients/

so as you can see its a common industry practice, so why not go back to your 400L system cause obviously some of us dont know what the **** we are talking about. this is the second time ive proved your an ignorant and belligerent person only posting to prove your own self worth. i dare you to hit the report button on this one.

btw you still havent answered one of my previous posts about posting something positive where i posted back examples of your so called positive posting.

barls out

barls
read through the links and from what i read they are wieghing things to the enth also doing ibu formulas
not getting say 2.5 kgs of different hop variety then blend it all together then weigh it and add
i am dam sure anderson valley would have a good handle on what and when there hop additions are going into there beers
i dont think that you need to pat yourself on the back in front of all your piers when you feel that you have corrected some information that i have posted
i will say this to you how long have you been brewing
do you feel that you have aquired all the information nessacary for good desimination

speedie, you can actually do a hopburst beer with only one hop variety. Your perception of the process is that it is a hodge-podge mix of random hops thrown in whenever the brewer feels like it. Again, you're a dickhead. Barls is right, if you can't be bothered looking into what hopbursting is then don't but there's no real benefit to anyone in you trying to discourage others from following a method just because you don't understand it.

As for Anderson Valley (an entirely average brewery, IMO) having a good handle on what goes in their beers - why can't the rest of us? We (i.e. everyone but you) all go out of our way to understand our ingredients and methods and the majority of us use that software you think is evil witchcraft to let us pick the eyes out of every element of our brew days.

For real, just **** off until you're willing to READ something before you post in reply.

I have been reading a lot about hopbursting on the Brew Board and finally got around to brewing one and kegged it last Friday... and damn they make a great APA :D :chug:

For those who haven't heard of this it involved taking 3 or more different hops and mixing them together, then just measure out your hop additions from the mix... beats the hell out of measuring 20+ hop additions individually :blink:

My first mix used 58g each of Amarillo, Cascade and Centennial and the aroma is gorgeous. So who else has done this and what did you use???

Hopburst APA
American Pale Ale

Type: All Grain
Date: 5/03/2006
Batch Size: 25.00 L
Brewer: Jye
Boil Size: 37.64 L Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: SK Brew Hous
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.6 SRM) Grain 79.4 %
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.9 %
0.20 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.20 kg Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.20 kg Crystal (Joe White) (72.0 SRM) Grain 3.2 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (1.8 SRM) Grain 3.2 %

36 gm Hopburst Mix (Mash hop)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (25 min)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (20 min)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (15 min)
18 gm Hopburst Mix (10 min)
36 gm Hopburst Mix (5 min)
30 gm Hopburst Mix (Dry Hop)

1.00 tsp Salt (Boil 90.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Safale American US-56 Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.2 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.6 %
Bitterness: 45.0 IBU Calories: 528 cal/l
Est Color: 8.7 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: SK - Double Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 6.30 kg
Sparge Water: 30.20 L Grain Temperature: 22.2 C
Sparge Temperature: 100.0 C TunTemperature: 22.2 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Protein Rest Add 10.08 L of water at 56.6 C 50.0 C 30 min
Saccrification Add 5.67 L of water at 98.0 C 65.0 C 60 min

bum and barls why dont you read through this post which is the very first in this list
then tell that he uses one hop and doesnt really care about wieghing out amounts
if you and the other boys stop being self rightgous about your wealth of knowldge then may be there will a better understanding about the subject
good night speedie
ps it was probably a really good brew by its make up

bum and barls why dont you read through this post which is the very first in this list
then tell that he uses one hop and doesnt really care about wieghing out amounts
if you and the other boys stop being self rightgous about your wealth of knowldge then may be there will a better understanding about the subject
good night speedie
ps it was probably a really good brew by its make up

Mate - Would you stop arguing about this, and ruining a good thread. Like anything, there are many ways to do things, and like what has been said to you many times but it looks like you are not willing to accept it, is that YOU control what goes on during your brewday! yes - thats right! You have the power to DO or NOT DO things as you wish! It is unbeleiveable isnt it?!

Lets make this nice and simple.......

Who here has actually made/sampled a hopburst? I have made several, often entering them into case swaps. I'm yet to recieve negative feedback from anyone who has tasted one of mine.

Do I care that I may never be able to perfectly repeat that beer? No, that's part of the fun of being a brewer, my beer doesn't taste exactly the same everytime, if i wanted that in my beer I'd drink VB.

My first hopburst I actually weighed out 5gr alotments of each hop 7 times, making up a total of 7 * 45g additions, that's 63 individual weighings.......If you have the wish to do that in the name of repeatability, go ahead. I however realise that the blended technique offers very SIMILAR results with a lot less time spent in front of the scales.

Really comes down to what is important to you, I'd rather be spending time with my family than weighing hops.

if you are going to make a beer called hop burst get it right please dont just throw things at it and say wow be constent isnt that why you guys use beersmith
and yes i have produced a brew named twenty hop
i would name this beer style super hopped

maybe we should name it speedie hopping instead

if you are going to make a beer called hop burst
Mate, it's just an all late hopped brew. I dunno what kind of magic shit you think is going on but that's all it is. Entirely repeatable if that's what floats your boat.

Again, you're a turd in a shirt. Shut up.

every think the idea isnt to make the same beer each time but something different and complex. if we all wanted to make the same thing consistently we would be drinking vb. this make good beer and doesnt need to be consistent.
speedie as i said before, why dont you go back to your 400L system and stop annoying us oh great guru of the north.

Just tapped the keg of my hopburst.
BOOM!
massive hop hit! big bitterness coming though - and a real piney and tropical punch. Definately the hoppiest beer I have made - I am loving it. I'll get a pic I gotta find mu usb cord..

hopburst.JPG

there we go!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back