Hop Tea - Water Volume Per Hop Amount

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
Hi All

I've been using the Hop tea method for some time now. After some experiences with dry hopping I experimented with the hop tea method and have stuck to it ever since through a number of extract brews. Now I've moved on to AG BIAB in an urn (three brews down and loving it, Hurrah!!!!) and use the no chill method.

Not trying to create a Hop Tea vs Flame out vs Dry hop debate. My question is related to the amount of water used per amount of hops steeped. I'm curious if there's a rule of thumb. I.e. X mls of water per X grams of hops. Or what works for the experienced brewers out there that use this method. So far I've been sticking to 500mls for 15-20gs of pellets.

I've also hop tea'd my first plugs only to find the flowers soak and expand a great deal. So I used more water than I normally would (1L for two plugs) and squeezed the hell out of them and probably got close to 1L out of them. After adding it to my secondary It dawned on me that this must be effecting the final out come a little. 1L dillution worked out to be a 2 points lost to the FG for a 23L (in fermenter) batch. Not much I suppose but now I'm thinking if I'm going to add 1L in the future I should really account for it in beersmith if I'm aiming for a particular outcome. Mash a little more grain or add less water to the mash etc.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back