Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have read many times that spent hops should not be made available to dogs, is supposed to be toxic.
I wouldn't debate the topic, toss the green sludge into your compost heap and be done with it.
Have also heard from a commercial grower in Tasmania that the Cascade virus is a load of urban myth. Grow them and you'll be surprisingly surprised!!!

tdh

Dont know about spent hops being toxic to dogs but my Jacaranda tree thrives on spent yeast cake , planted one next to my rinsing out tap 2 years ago and is now 4 metres in height, i tip all my fermenter sludge in a small depression i put next to it and it seems to love it, 3 times as as big as my other 4 jacarandas I planted at the same time . Must be a good fertilizer or it loves beer same as I do as I also give it the fermented sludge that includes hops :chug:

Always a nice green spot on the lawn where the yeast cake goes

Batz

Over the last 3 weeks my Williamette hop plant dried up and looks like its died. I watered and fed it regularly. Maybe too much....
FIrst leaves started drying then one bine died completely back while the other still looked healthy, within days it was completely dried and dead.

Has anyone else growing in the Sydney area had simular problems?
Have I killed my Rhizome somehow?

Mine did the same thing in Perth 2 months ago. Gave up on it completely. About a month later it stuck a couple of small shoots up again. So it might come back.

Mine is still alive in a pot. Here is a piccy of it posted on the 23/12/04.
It is now starting to grow what look like cones. I dont think i will get much if anything out of it.

cheers
johnno

POR.JPG

They look great Johnno.
I'm going to have to get some this year.
Already have the site location plans submitted and approved by the local horticulture planning department (SWMBO).
They will hopefully be good competition for the neighbours choco's on the other side of the fence :lol:
Anyone want to donate some rhizomes when they are ready ?

Doc

Im keen to try and get some rhizomes in Sydney as well.
Are many guys growing hops in Sydney?

just read thread & most interested/excited about getting a vine going.

Gout,

I too brew from the beautiful suburb of bentleigh, if your soil is as sandy as mine, what have you done to spruce it up or do you just do pots?
How reliable is the transportation of rhizomes from Grumpy's and when is the best time to order/plant?

And another thing Gout, any chance that the old BBC hardware place in centre road will be replaced by a microbrewery? Interested in a partnership?

Would like to catch up sometime for a sip.

cheers,

Duke

Duke, I reckon your backyard would be ideal for growing hops.

Your own hops, good brew, fresh eggs from the chooks- sounds pretty good to me, and all this in Bentleigh not Daylesford!

spot on Backlane.

you think I've got enough land to become self-sufficient? All I need to do is start bartering beer for school shoes and eggs for medicine.

Wouldn't it be great to go back to this system. Brewer's would become the blue chips of society.

I want to get some growing this yeah. Im in Wollongong just south of sydney.. cant wait for it..

Duke, I have 4 hop plants, and yeah its as sandy as sand gets here, the water just runns off . I had my hallertau in the sand and it grew ok last yr with no hops, this year they are all in pots and they are growing well (except the POR that was somehow almost killed while i was away)

I am right near the BBC on centre road, and if you got the money to buy it ;) then i would love to help you out..... but i am afraid i cant afford a house around here let alown a block like that :(

thanks Gout.
in other local news.... this new indian restaurant openned just beside Patterson station - Maharani. Good food, authentic, cheap and.....i love it because they don't mind if you plonk an esky full of HB next to your table. Sat around for a few hours, ate heaps of good food supplied table with brew, all up less than $20 / head. A top night.

tdh said:
Have also heard from a commercial grower in Tasmania that the Cascade virus is a load of urban myth.
You might be right however I have heard about the virus from Steve Ferguson (Tassie) and Greg Croke (Vic), both professional hop growers.

That is not to say that there might be some virus free "australian cascade" that someone has managed to produce. If you can get the rhizome (without illegally importing it) then give it a go.

The other nice thing about throwing the hops sludge in the compost is that it almost smells nice and I am sure there aren't so many flies buzzing around.

Not sure what it is doing to the worm population though.

You are not kidding about the sleepiness bit.

I drank a pint of my "traditional IPA" that was boiled with 410g of Goldings. I fell asleep in my chair!

Jovial Monk

sosman said:
Johnno, one other thing, I heard a few melbourne brewers talking about throwing out some of their hops (taking over the garden). It is the wrong time of year to be digging up rhizomes but if you jump on the melbourne brewers list (via the web site) you should be able to hook up something for next season.
Sos,
I seem to be having trouble finding the list.

cheers
johnno

Back