Hop Randall, Filter Conversion

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank

Reaction score
I have been thinking about converting my filter to a Hop Randall for a while now. I finally got around to sorting it out to make sure I have it ready for the Adelaide/ Mildura Christmas swap.
I am obviously not the first person to do this, but my method is really cheap and easy that just about everyone could do with the gear they have in the shed right now.
Here are a couple of links that Philip sent to me a while a go, Filter Conversion #1 and Filter Conversion #2.

Some photo's of my build. It took about 30 minutes start to finish.

Hop_Randall_012.jpg
Parts that I used, the mesh is a splatter guard that I bought from Ikea, that I was intending to use as a false bottom, but never happened.
Hop_Randall_014.jpg
The end piece is a synthetic cork, drilled out, with a slight taper to fit into the filter housing. 10 inches of SS tube I had lying around, you could also use beer line though.
Hop_Randall_029.jpg
Phils turned down cork if he wants it, with some beer line.
Hop_Randall_017.jpg
SS mesh ready for cutting.
Hop_Randall_020.jpg
SS mesh cut ready for use.
Hop_Randall_022.jpg
Assembled ready to use, all beer will come through the center SS tube and infuse through the hops and out the base.
Hop_Randall_024.jpg
Closer look showing the SS mesh at the base of the filter housing.
Hop_Randall_025.jpg
50g of Nelson Sauvin ready to go.
Hop_Randall_027.jpg
First pour of beer through the Randall, Czech Pilsner, Hop hit was not huge yet as it had only been in contact for 5 minutes before pouring, but I am looking forward to the beers in the next few days through it.

I think you could also use SS scrubbies for the screen at the base is you don't want the hassle of cutting a screen like I did.

The main difference between my conversion and others is the direction of beer flow. This design has beer coming in to the out port, and out the in port. This way will guarantee all beer is infused through the hop goodness from the top of the filter down to the base before pouring. A lot of other designs have the beer flow the same as you filter, with holes drilled in the center pipe, this method does not guarantee all beer will infuse past the hops, and can take the path of least resistance across the base into the first drilled holes.

I hope this inspires a few others to give it a crack.

thats awesome!!! might give this one a go one day have to brew some beer first.

Great job, was looking at my filter today thinking about doing the same as I don't use it for beer anymore.

Seeing it in pictures is much easier to understand what you were meaning with everything you were telling me...and yes, I would love to take the turned down cork off of your hands!

Heard (from reading some dogfishhead article) that the higher the alcohol the beer, the more hoppy goodness you will extract...probably time I made an all galaxy Imperial 10 min IPA.

Cheers
Phil

I cannot believe I did the same thing last weekend with my filter... Except did you know the diameter of the bit where you have your bung is the same as silicon hose ? Added a stainless filter the bottom using some mesh and it went a treat...

Very nice, but I think I'll be converting my filter-housing (much the same as yours) into a Hop Back rather than Hop Randall, not that I imagine it will be any different. ;)

How long do the hops in a randall last?? Is there a 'peak' a roma period?

Boston said:
I have been thinking about converting my filter to a Hop Randall for a while now. I finally got around to sorting it out to make sure I have it ready for the Adelaide/ Mildura Christmas swap.
I am obviously not the first person to do this, but my method is really cheap and easy that just about everyone could do with the gear they have in the shed right now.
Here are a couple of links that Philip sent to me a while a go, Filter Conversion #1 and Filter Conversion #2.

Some photo's of my build. It took about 30 minutes start to finish.

attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_012.jpg
Parts that I used, the mesh is a splatter guard that I bought from Ikea, that I was intending to use as a false bottom, but never happened.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_014.jpg
The end piece is a synthetic cork, drilled out, with a slight taper to fit into the filter housing. 10 inches of SS tube I had lying around, you could also use beer line though.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_029.jpg
Phils turned down cork if he wants it, with some beer line.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_017.jpg
SS mesh ready for cutting.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_020.jpg
SS mesh cut ready for use.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_022.jpg
Assembled ready to use, all beer will come through the center SS tube and infuse through the hops and out the base.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_024.jpg
Closer look showing the SS mesh at the base of the filter housing.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_025.jpg
50g of Nelson Sauvin ready to go.
attachicon.gif
Hop_Randall_027.jpg
First pour of beer through the Randall, Czech Pilsner, Hop hit was not huge yet as it had only been in contact for 5 minutes before pouring, but I am looking forward to the beers in the next few days through it.

I think you could also use SS scrubbies for the screen at the base is you don't want the hassle of cutting a screen like I did.

The main difference between my conversion and others is the direction of beer flow. This design has beer coming in to the out port, and out the in port. This way will guarantee all beer is infused through the hop goodness from the top of the filter down to the base before pouring. A lot of other designs have the beer flow the same as you filter, with holes drilled in the center pipe, this method does not guarantee all beer will infuse past the hops, and can take the path of least resistance across the base into the first drilled holes.

I hope this inspires a few others to give it a crack.
Necropost...

That is some great work there, Boston. You inspired me to make my own. So what keeps your mesh filter in place? Just gravity and the suction from the beer drawing through?

Sorry to barge in, but this thread popped up whilst searching....coincidentally a day after you exhumed it, iJosh.

Mine is a Kegking filter housing with one of their brand of SS scrubbies, which fits snuggly in the base with a length of silicone tube through the middle.

The beer will have to migrate down through the hops (I'm thinking a few pellets, then flowers, then scrubby), to the base and finally up the tube, which I've cut at a slight angle so it's not flush against the bottom.

Nothing new really, but I'm pleased with it.

Can someone confirm Polycarbonate isn't suited to hot wort applications ?
I'm fairly sure it's not, but the Kegking fella couldn't be sure.

Post fermentation use is fine too.

20140814_210957.jpg

Great idea! But does this give any metallic flavour?

I hacked up a splatter guard like Boston but tiny particles still get through :/

Haven't tried it yet, but I think the SS will be fine...it's been done many times before.

I've soaked the scrubby in sod. perc. to remove any manufacturing grime and it'll all get a flush with no-rinse phos. prior to use.

I'll then fill it with hops, flush with C02 and start filtering.

I'm expecting a few hop fragments to get through at first, but as with lautering a grain bed, it should filter fine once it settles.

Sounds good. I bought a cheap aquarium sponge filter pad on eBay last night too. I'll cut it size to suit as per the Boston original. Not 100% sure it'll be food grade though, but I'm almost certain they are polyurethane and chemically inert. I'll soak it in sod. perc. like you suggested too to get the manufacturing crap off it. I think I'll get a scrubby just for kicks too. Can I use the ones sold at the supermarkets? Are they SS?

Check the pack. If it doesn't say SS, it almost certainly isn't.

Well, you've definitely got the hang of the two spellings of the word, which is pleasing to my pedantic and overly judgemental brain.

Latest posts

Back