Hop Plugs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to rack my ESB clone to secondary and would like to dry hop using some Styrian Goldings plugs.

Do I need to break up the plug before throwing them into secondary or do I just throw the whole plug in and let nature run its course? (I've searched this site and the web to no avail)

Also, should I throw the hop plug into a tea ball or should I just let it float on top?

Cheers,

Rukh.

Can just let it float, just be careful not to drain it into your bottles/keg.
I'd be breaking it up to be sure it all get's exposed. I've thrown pellets in, but I think if they get wet they'd break up anyway. I think you'd need to rip the plug apart first...my drunken thorts anyway :beer:

Hi all,

I'm about to rack my ESB clone to secondary and would like to dry hop using some Styrian Goldings plugs.

Do I need to break up the plug before throwing them into secondary or do I just throw the whole plug in and let nature run its course? (I've searched this site and the web to no avail)

Also, should I throw the hop plug into a tea ball or should I just let it float on top?

Cheers,

Rukh.

Either or, tea ball makes clean up quite a bit easier though. Break it up if you want.

I break them up as those little buggers are usually quite compressed and you typically won't get all of the plug to get in contact with the beer.
I take a big sharp knife and cut them down the middle (horizontal) and that usually is enough.

Beers,
Doc

I've used plugs a stack of times without breaking them up, its not necessary, once they hit the beer they soak up a bit and split apart themselves.

Its fine to let float on top as the plug is compressed whole hop flowers and as a result the bits are quite big and don't get through the tap in my experience. Plugs are better than pellets for dry hopping for that reason.

It seems that those little suckers are pretty versatile and can be successfully used many ways.

Thanks all for the advice.

My preference for dry hopping is definately fresh plugs or flowers.
you may get the odd seed in your glass though.

I ended up throwing the plug in whole. I checked it tonight and for the most part it was one big clump.

I then used a (sterilised) fork to break it up. It turns out that it was only loosely clumped together so it was probably okay as it was.

Although it might not make a huge difference, I might cut it into halves/quarters next time.

Latest posts

Back