Hop Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avit

Reaction score
Hi all

I plan on brewing the following this weekend (in the Style of a JS Golden Ale)

Batch Size: 23L
2.20 kg Pale Liquid Extract (5.3 EBC) Extract 66.7 %
1.00 kg Wheat Liquid Extract (15.8 EBC) Extract 30.3 %
0.10 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 3.0 %
22.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (60 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
44.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (15 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
44.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (5 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
20.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

Unfortunately I am finding it difficult to track down Amarillo hops (my LHBS has them on order but they possibly wont be in by the weekend) What hops would be a good substitute for Amarillo?

Also, of the following yeasts, which one should I use?
- Gervin English Ale
- Danstar Nottingham
- Danstar Windsor
- Safale S-04

Cheers
Avit

Cascade hops should work well. Very close to Amarillo in my opinion. As for the yeast try and get some S05. Its a very versatile yeast that tends to accentuate hop flavours and produce a nice clean beer. If you didnt want to get another yeast then S04 will still produce a good beer.

With that amount of hops I think the beer will be a bit hoppier than a JSGA. Unless you like hoppy beers.

Kabooby :)

I'd suggest Nottingham for the yeast. It's a beaut. Ferments quite clean, sinks like a stone when it's done and works well in APA.

For the hops, I've used Cascade, Ahtanum and Centennial in APAs, all with good results. Amarillo is pretty distinctive, so you won't exactly get the JSGA character, but it will still be good.

If I were you, I'd bitter with something different to the aroma hops. FWIW, I think it's bittered with POR.

I'd suggest Nottingham for the yeast. It's a beaut. Ferments quite clean, sinks like a stone when it's done and works well in APA.

For the hops, I've used Cascade, Ahtanum and Centennial in APAs, all with good results. Amarillo is pretty distinctive, so you won't exactly get the JSGA character, but it will still be good.

If I were you, I'd bitter with something different to the aroma hops. FWIW, I think it's bittered with POR.

Here Here, Geoffi you can't go to far wrong with POR. I also second Nottingham for the yeast.

maybe a combo of chinook and cascade as a hop sub? Why not order them from online sponsor. craftbrewer will have them to you in 2 days (not sure about how the weekend affects that timing though). Im sure the other sponsors would be almost if not just as quick.

yeast - US-56/S05/1056 its all the same thing. best yeast for this style. if you dont want to buy it I would sduggest using a more nuetral fermenting yeast like nottingham over windsor.

Im under the impression JSGA is 100% amarillo. its been discussed on the forum before and the JS web says is all amarillo.

and yes thats a fair crack of hops in there. too hoppy for JSGA. still be nice though. I was going to offer to lend you some amarillo if you were located near me but UK is a little far. it also means my first comment about online sponsors getting you hops in 2 days is a little misleading. if you were in Australia is would be 2-3 days. but knowing Ross he could probably get them to you within the week!

24. something IBU? I wouldn't call that too hoppy for a clone of JS or the style...
That JS is bittered with POR comes straight from the man himself Chuck Hahn.
30% wheat malt
Some crystal
Bittered with POR and finished with Amarillo.

For mine you won't get the flavour of amarillo with anything else, but you will make a nice summer ale / apa with almost any of the hop combinations mentioned.
Cascade/Simcoe is a good one.

Of those yeasts I'd probably go nottingham but ferment it lower to keep it neutral, say 16-17C. S05 would be the best choice though.

I'll add another vote for cascade. Cascade and amarillo are very close in character, with cascade being a bit "bigger" or "over the top." If you do manage to find cascade, centennial goes very well with it. I also agree that you can save your good aroma/flavour hops for that purpose and bitter your brew with a general purpose high alpha variety.

I didnt actually see the IBU estimate. yeh your right Bconnery, not to bitter.

I also stand corrected on the POR issue.

thanks for the help guys

fingers crossed the LHBS has the hops delivered today, otherwise its back to the good olf fav, cascade

on the yeast, i puchased some dandstar windsor (thinking this was the best to use after speaking with the owner of the LHBS - probably just my lack of knowledge) anyway, what sort of beer would this suit?

im looking forward to tomorow, its my first brew in a couple of months...withdrawal symptoms big time!

on the yeast, i puchased some dandstar windsor (thinking this was the best to use after speaking with the owner of the LHBS - probably just my lack of knowledge) anyway, what sort of beer would this suit?
english ales, dark ales, stouts, strong bitters etc,. a slightly fruity darkish ale yeast. something to balance out harsher dark grain or botter beers. IMO of course

Go HAWKS 2008!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back