Hop Drying Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Known average, though most people use their fresh flowers for late additions where it is less important.

Can anyone see why the following won't work to find approx aa% levels?

Dry hops to complete dryness, chuck in the blender (to get better aa extraction later on) and weigh amount (100g after drying would make this very easy to work out)
Make up some 1040 wort.
Throw in the known amount of hops.
Boil for a few minutes.
Strain all the hops and rinse with some hot water (to get the wort off).
Dry to complete dryness and weigh. If you start with a 100g of hops and then end up with 91g of hops does this mean that the aa lkevels are 9%? Or is the aa level a percentage of the oil, and therefore present in much lower quantities. I can imagine this method (if it works) would be good for high aa varieties rather than low aa varieties.

I spose the way to see if this works is to do it with some hops that i know the aa levels of. I won't get to this this year as i don't live where my hops are planted and they have gone all brown apparently. Didn't get the greatest crop either as noone was watering them, not that it matters if i didn't harvest!

The other method is to use them and see how it comes out!

Back