Hop Bomb Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all!

I'm an American living in Japan. I have recently started brewing my own beer and have caught the bug. I am fervishly trying to plan my next brew and I can't decide on what to do.

I recently had an IPA here in Japan called Suruga Bay IPA. It came in at a whopping 90 IBUs and I loved it. I wanted to try something like that at home (but perhaps not so strong).

Right now I'm only using kits to brew (I have Black Rock, Morgan's, Brewferm, and Munton's available). I also have a limited selection of hops available to me.

Can anyone suggest a hoppy kit recipe for this beginner?

Many thanks! :icon_cheers:

You could try Dr. S' golden ale here, its the highest rated recipe on the site, or maybe neil's centarillo here which is equally as popular. They aren't at IPA strength but they're definitely hoppy, a good starting point for experimentation.

The kits should have the hop rating on them or you can find it by looking at the manufacturer site.

I would start with an IPA kit and add some hops to it. If you can get hop extract then you can add bitterness to the kit easy. The hop flavor is as easy as boiling some unhopped extract with the hops for whatever time you need to get the results. Then add the hopped can and the concentrated hop extract at the end.

You say you are from the USA. Not sure if you are used to the hoppy beers that can be found here or not. I do not think any of the kits are close to the insane hoppy beers we have.

I recently had an IPA here in Japan called Suruga Bay IPA. It came in at a whopping 90 IBUs and I loved it. I wanted to try something like that at home (but perhaps not so strong).
Glad you like the Suruga Bay Imperial IPA -- that's a fun one for us to brew. (I'm the lead brewer at Baird Brewing.) Suruga Bay uses lots of Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial and Amarillo hops, and is double dry hopped with all four of those -- at least one week in the first conditioning tank and then another week (or more) in the second tank. Shoot for an OG of around 1.075 and an FG of 1.012, which comes out to around 7.5% alcohol. You can approximate the grain bill by using mostly pale malt (we use Crisp Maris Otter) or the lightest extract you can find, with just a touch of light crystal malt, maybe around 5%. Ferment with a good ale yeast at around 20C. And that should get you close to Suruga Bay. ;)

It is always so cool to have the industry guys coming in and sharing =)

Chris

You are beyond awesome! Sorry for the delay on this! I just got your PM and what a pleasant surprise. Thank you so so so much!

I am most definitely gonna give this a go! If I succeed, can you get me a job? lol

Thank you so much again.

Back