Hop Blend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gopha

Reaction score
Hi, I have been brewing a run of simple ales, 1.045 to 1.050 wort, 25 IBU with a single hop for all additions, to tweak my system.

I think I now have the process right and I am planning one more batch before I start to brew some beers closer to style ie some Saisons, the pressure is on the brew something decent for the Adelaide case swap.

My question is, I have some left over hops in the freezer Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade and a few others, the plan was to use a mix of the three, Simcoe for bittering, and a 50-50 mix of Amarillo and Cascade for my flavor and aroma addition.

Any thoughts on the blend, or other variations would be great - Cheers

I have some left over hops in the freezer Simcoe, Amarillo, Cascade and a few others, the plan was to use a mix of the three, Simcoe for bittering, and a 50-50 mix of Amarillo and Cascade for my flavor and aroma addition.

That would make a delicious APA! I recently made a similar one with a malty base...
84% Marris Otter
8% Munich
4% Crystal 50
4% Crystal 75

I used Cascade for bittering and a 50-50 mix of Cascade and Amarillo for flavour and aroma. I LOVE the aroma but next time I will use a different bittering hop (Simcoe would work great), Amarillo flavour addition and Cascade aroma addition.

Mine came out to 36IBU Rager and I felt that was about right, settled a little after a month or two in bottles.

I agree with Nick JD. Love Simcoe in any part of the process, not just bittering.

Yeah, another vote for chucking some Simcoe in for flavour too.

looks like I have some decisions to make of a flavorful kind - Cheers :D

All good suggestions.

I'd look at upping your IBU to about 30 to 35, and don't skimp the flavour and aroma additions. You'll love it.

Back