Hop Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
wanna try something along the lines of a fatyak. Not really sure what times and how much to use in the boil. Am planning on a 25l batch. Kit consists of 115g cascade, 300g galaxy, 400g POR,60g halletau, 400g motueka. was thinking the cascade and halletau was what I needed, but no idea of addition & boil times. Not after an exact clone, but something in the ball park. Any suggestions greatly apprecciated.

wanna try something along the lines of a fatyak. Not really sure what times and how much to use in the boil. Am planning on a 25l batch. Kit consists of 115g cascade, 300g galaxy, 400g POR,60g halletau, 400g motueka. was thinking the cascade and halletau was what I needed, but no idea of addition & boil times. Not after an exact clone, but something in the ball park. Any suggestions greatly apprecciated.

Fat Yak

Hope this helps

BeerFingers

Am planning on a 25l batch. Kit consists of 115g cascade, 300g galaxy, 400g POR,60g halletau, 400g motueka.

Are you telling us what you've got to choose from, or is this what you intend to put in the beer????

Your post reads like your literally gonna put 1.2kg of hops in your brew!

Galaxy to about 18 IBU.

I'd be using lots of cascade, a little of Galaxy and Moteuka - at 10 minutes to get it up to 30-35 IBU (Depending on where you like yours, bitterness wise).

Lots of hallertau and cascade dry hopped after about a week of fermentation.

That should address the bitterness, the fruitiness and that grassiness you get from dry hopping (but pretty muted, I would consider)

Goomba

I would suggest dry hopping with Centennial. That's the hop that really sticks out to me when drinking/smelling Fat Yak.

Put them all in in the last 5 mins.... do it ............... do it................ I dare you................ Bet you won't............. :D

Are you telling us what you've got to choose from, or is this what you intend to put in the beer????

Your post reads like your literally gonna put 1.2kg of hops in your brew!
only stating whats in the fridge. 1.2kg seems a tad excessive to me. cant be bothered going to lhbs so wanna use what ive got. gonna mash 5 kg trad ale, 1kg JW pilsner, 250g pale crystal,150g wheat(cos thats all I got.) my up the batch size depending on sg at 25 l.

Galaxy to about 18 IBU.

I'd be using lots of cascade, a little of Galaxy and Moteuka - at 10 minutes to get it up to 30-35 IBU (Depending on where you like yours, bitterness wise).

Lots of hallertau and cascade dry hopped after about a week of fermentation.

That should address the bitterness, the fruitiness and that grassiness you get from dry hopping (but pretty muted, I would consider)

Goomba

Are you talking about using galaxy for bittering? Because i really don't taste galaxy in this brew at all. I really enjoy galaxy but i find it gets a little harsh as a bittering addition, thats just me though.

:icon_offtopic: I really like this beer on tap, however i am usually let down by the bottles. A few nights ago a friend of mine brought round a carton, i must say that it was the best fat yak i have tasted in bottles thus far, tasted better than some of the stuff i've had on tap.

I think it would be pretty simple recipe. Some ale malt, a little sugar, some caramalt (?) and a touch of wheat(everything gets wheat in the glassgrenade brewery). Then some magnum (or super alpha/anything clean) @ 60 and some cascade @ 10, a touch of cascade dry hopped and we are close i reckon. Will do some research and if i find a decent recipe i will report back.

Back