Honey Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wassa

Reaction score
I am thinking of putting down the following kit as well as the following additives in the hope of getting a reasonable Honey Porter. I would appreciate any ideas/comments you guys have.

1 can Cascade Mahogany Porter
1kg of either Country Brewer Stout Mix or 1kg of liquid chocolate malt & 500g maltodextrin
1kg of clover honey.

I am unsure of where in the process I should add the honey. Should I add it at the primary fermentation stage and allow the yeast to ferment the natural sugars in the honey or do I add it in secondary.

Thanks for the help.

To Wassa from Wazza.

If you're not boiling your kit add it to the primary. If you're boiling either add the honey and steep it at the end of the boil.

Or add it to the secondary. Honey aromas a very easily driven off via boiling.

Good luck with it.

Warren -

Wassa said:
I am thinking of putting down the following kit as well as the following additives in the hope of getting a reasonable Honey Porter. I would appreciate any ideas/comments you guys have.

1 can Cascade Mahogany Porter
1kg of either Country Brewer Stout Mix or 1kg of liquid chocolate malt & 500g maltodextrin
1kg of clover honey.

I am unsure of where in the process I should add the honey. Should I add it at the primary fermentation stage and allow the yeast to ferment the natural sugars in the honey or do I add it in secondary.

Thanks for the help.
[post="67054"][/post]​

Whenever I add honey I add to the last minute of the boil to pasturise it without destroying the aroma. If you add after the boil you can get the odd infection from bugs in the honey (not common as honey is a pretty unforgiving environment for bugs but does still happen).

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back