Honey Kilkenny

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koikaze

Reaction score
Hey guys Im going to embark on a honey flavored kilkenny type beer. I'm going to post my ingredients and i would like some crits and comments on it :) if there is anything i should add or change slightly any help would be appreciated. this is my first brew where im straying a bit from the norm. I'll start it as soon as i get a fridgemate :)

Muntons Yeast

500g LME

1 kg pasteurized honey

Muntons Yorkshire Bitter

Fuggles hops (10g, 2 mins boil, 10 mins stand)

Goldings hops (10g 2 mins boil, 10 mins stand)

fill to 20L

Looks the goods to me - can't fault anything really...I'd most likely stick with it and see how she goes! I haven't had any experience with the Muntons yeast however, as any time I buy a kit I usually replace the yeast anyhow. Perhaps a packet of S-04 would be better? Anyway, its up to you and it looks like you should come out with a good beer at any rate.

Should turn out the be fairly strong as well methinks! Upper 5's, if not low 6's, after priming with the usual amount of sugar/what-have-you.

Cheers - boingk

I have been thinking of using honey in my brews as well. But a lot of brewers in other forums have told me that unless you really use a lot of the stuff, you won't even have the honey taste at all.

But anyways, keep up posted on the result.

If you want it to be similar to kilkenny, prime with 3/4 to 1/2 your normal amount of sugar.

If you want it to be similar to kilkenny, prime with 3/4 to 1/2 your normal amount of sugar.
Oh yes good idea, i never thought of that.

I'll keep you all posted. I'll look into the S-04 yeast. I hope that 1 kg of honey is enough for taste... anyone any idea's if its worth priming with honey as well? I'm sure theres a thread somewhere on here about that but... *uses search*

Sounds like a tasty beer. I might have to give it a try one day

And it is away.... pitched my yeast last night. i got a og of 1041 which i expected to be a bit higher... smelt really nice! should turn out good if everything works out. i'll keep you posted.

When it comes to priming later, I swear I saw a topic on using honey to prime... but i cant find it anywhere.

Hey Guys, I took a hydrometer reading today, and tasted it afterwards. It was so good. Compared to my other beers, it was fantastic. made me want to cry it was so good!

Great to hear that you're happy with it. You could also try adding a little dark spec grain such as carafa special or roasted barley if you decide its not close enough to Kilkenny, next time of course. Main thing is that you're happy with it.

Check out the style guidelines
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.html#1d

well i'll def be doing it again at some stage if it still tastes that good in a bottle. So I'll give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back