Homemade Test Tube Racks (for Sera)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
In my slightly spaz way I decided to make some wooden test tube racks after buying some tubes from Sera.

I tried about 6 times and gave up at least 3 times but I'm stubborn. All the materials were free (work places etc) although I kind of negated that by buying a few tools and accessories. I'll use them again though.

Lined with zote foam at the base, holds 50, made one for me and one for a fellow brewer. varnished with marine ply varnish so it holds up to the fridge environment. I'm not a carpenter or woodworker so it's rough but functional and was (eventually) satisfying to do.

DSC00232.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

The line of black is the foam layer

DSC00230.jpg

Thank Christ it works.

DSC00229.jpg

I was going to put all this in a gallery rather than make a thread or clutter up Sera's thread but it seems I have to upload from my computer rather than use image hosting which means re-sizing everything and using up loads of bandwidth (I was going to add in my other brewery build pictures too - tun, kettle, HLT and relevant progression).

manticle

Fit for purpose I reckon. Nice Job. On the subject of test tubes what are they worth? Am thinking of going to liquid yeast and would split the yeast pack to cut down on cost, so would possibly order 20.

Drew

I'd be happy with that job manticle, I'd hate to see how it'd end up if I made one. Can you post up the dimensions?

solid work manticle, that is some sexy rackage. :)

yes, I will be ordering more shortly and will make a new thread in the next few weeks. :)

HAHA When I read Sera I thought that was the company that made them. Will keep an eye out for the thread in coming weeks.

Drew

I'd be happy with that job manticle, I'd hate to see how it'd end up if I made one. Can you post up the dimensions?

My garden is littered with the first botched attempts (new garden plot has several pieces of ply filled with holes and splits and mumbled cursewords).

Dimensions are: 340mm Length x 145 width. Each piece of ply is 12 mm. The bottom piece has a thin (5mm) piece of mdf fixing the foam to the lower layer. The foam is also 5 mm thick and attached to the lower ply layer with double sided tape. Bookend supports are 80 mm length (top to bottom) 20 mm depth and 140 mm wide (side to side).

Holes are 16 mm diameter done with a spade bit (piloted first, slight countersinking afterwards). If you have a drill press, best use that - I just had a couple of clamps on a homemade saddle in the backyard but it's most important that the holes actually align.

Plastic test tube racks are light and cost only $8.

My beer is a bit like my woodwork attempts. IE: good (fluke) shit, learn, shit, learn, good, great, shit, learn, repeat.

OR

A lot of it gets thrown on the garden, some finds a place in my fridge with pride.

Well done mate. There is a lot of enjoyment to be had making gear and stuff. For a non carpenter type you've done well. Good thinking on the foam.
Never fear about buying tools either, once you've got them they seem to become more useful. As for the store bought price you can't get much enjoyment for $8 these days and every time you look at it you'll say to yourself "I made that" :icon_cheers:
Daz

Top work mate. I once made a rack for valves when I stripped the heads on my v8 thought I've only gotta make it once & I'll always have it. once the heads were back together it was in the bin fast (didn't want anyone seein that) I now know you can't weld wood so I can't work with it

Nice work Manticle, your holders are similar to mine!

I also had issues not having access to a drill press. And buggering up a few of the holes...

Next time I am thinking about a simple block of wood, with deeper holes in it, one piece simplicity.

Nice unit, top work.

Nice rack B)

It's making me think I may one day go down the test tube / yeast collection path which I said I never would...

Nice work Manticle, your holders are similar to mine!

I also had issues not having access to a drill press. And buggering up a few of the holes...

Next time I am thinking about a simple block of wood, with deeper holes in it, one piece simplicity.

Nice unit, top work.

Thanks mate.

I'm impressed it took you an hour. Going from my first buggered attempt to my final two successful ones would be many hours over several days.

@MB - give it a shot. I've been keeping yeast cultures in longnecks. While it's handy to have a few (you can have pitchable amounts housed in each so stepping up is is less of an issue), they take up a lot of room and I'm worried one day I may confuse one for a beer.

Latest posts

Back