Homemade Jerky

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a food dehydrator for jerky, have a look on ebay you can get them fairly cheaply. I use topside steak cut thinly. You want no fat, as fat doesn't dehydrate well, it turns to a gell like substance. You can use Masterfoods, seasoning all, or Bush spice, marinades or most any other salts or spices you desire. I put the spice into zip lock bags, throw the meat on top, close the bag and shake the hell out of it or roll it in your hands. The bags are just to keep the mess down as SHMBO went ape once when I had spice scattered all over her clean benches.

I just use ground pepper, ground coriander seeds and chilli and press it into the meat after marinading

Mmmm jerky...

jerky3.jpg

jerky4.jpg

jerky5.jpg

Topside, all fat and sinew removed (it won't cure and will go rancid), marinaded in a liquid brine with different recipes for different flavours and a commecial nitrate mix to prevent bacteria forming in the low temps nessercary.

You can get away without the nitrites for home use (i did for years), but it's a belt and suspenders type thing.
Belt and suspenders is quite reassuring when you're talking about bugs like salmonella that will kill you. :icon_cheers:

Smoked for as little as an hour and dried at 60c or under for up to 16 hours with fan circulating warm air.

My cold smoker (not the old one in the picture) holds 5 kilos of sliced meat at a run.

Back