Home Made Yoghurt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I know those standard flavours but there is also passionfruit and other characteristics you might get from steeping some hops. The antibacterial factor might be a problem which is why I asked. Might as well give it a go I guess. If its great then I will be obliged to market it as beerghurt

Is galaxy passion fruit? Make a passion fruit coolois to add to it? :)

lael said:
Is galaxy passion fruit? Make a passion fruit coolois to add to it? :)
Cheers lael, that's not using beer ingredients though :)
I was just putting it out there that's all. Maybe call it ho-ghurt...

Heh, well passionfruit is definitely the more conventional way to add passionfruit flavour to yoghurt. (You could probably do the same in beer, come to think of it.) Go ahead. I think it should work (it's not as if hops deter all lacto-bacilli in beer after all, or the infection thread wouldn't exist). Your main problem, I think, is that results might be super bitter. I suppose you could either chuck the hops in to the milk when you heat it or dry hop them later.

You could try making a hop tincture (or use one of those hop extracts) and stir in once the yogurt is finished. That way it won't inhibit the lactic fermentation. Add a drop at a time until you get something you like. Or until it gets too revolting to continue with. Whatever comes first.

He he, no it is not a beer ingredient... But then neither is yoghurt ;). You should make your wife some yoghurt in the Brau and compare.I've been very impressed with how it turns out. Fave seed yoghurt is five am Greek organic and / or mixed with jalna Greek. Five am is super creamy and sets nicely. Jalna has a touch of bite and sets firm as well.

I made a hop tea for a brew a few weeks back. Was definitely noticeably bitter. I would wonder if the yoghurt would set properly if you add it in before it has firmed up. Let us know!

lael said:
He he, no it is not a beer ingredient... But then neither is yoghurt ;).
What? Tell that to my Cherry'n'Berries sour ale, fermented and soured with home made greek yoghurt

Unfortunately Aldi have discontinued their Organic yogurt in kilo plastic barrels with a lid that are perfect containers for making yogurt in your esky or urn if you collect them over a period (use them as starters or get people to collect them for you)

However I've noticed that Jalna are in identical tubs so I guess they were the suppliers. At over six bucks Jalna still works out ok as a starter.

My latest batch today I've taken up Florian's suggestion of using long life milk - it's really super easy, only takes a few minutes to get up to temperature then pour into jars and leave to incubate. I'm no longer using the urn, I find that an esky with water bath holds nicely.

5 kilos;

4 litres Coles Long Life Milk
1 kilo tub Jalna Greek
300g full cream powdered milk

Jalna has an excellent culture, Acidophilus and also Casei (think Yakult) and runs at 37 degrees.

Sounds intersting, let us know how it sets! I've found 5am organic Greek to be excellent as a started culture too - maybe more mild and creamy if you like that.

I have done a couple batches using 1L UHT, 1/2 cup powdered and a jalna starter. Its a good mix. UHT rocks for this because its just takes out the heating cooling required of normal milk and has better consistency than powdered. Greek using this method is amazing too!

1kg yoghurt for 4 litres milk is a massive starter, the other night I used 200g jalna greek tub for 3 litres milk and it has set perfectly. I would even give 4 litres milk a go with 200g based on my results.

I use my slow cooker or urn sous vide set-up to regulate my yoghurt temp these days, 45 degrees in case anyone was interested.

My recipe is similar as above - 3 litres semi-skim long life milk, 3 cups low fat milk powder, small tub bought yoghurt - sets and tastes good, naturally full fat is way better, but i'm fat enough from beer :)

I have re-used my own yoghurt as a starter and also used freeze dried culture with good results but have found a small tub from the supermarket to be cheap and easy enough.

I tipped the whole tub in, I'll use the small one next time and see how it goes.

Last time around I made a small glass jar to use as a starter for the next batch. 8kg batch (4x2kg tubs) and I think I use close to a full tub (2 heaped tbsp per ltr) I don't think you need that much though. Be interested to hear what is the minimum ppl can get away with.

Edak - I'll give UHT a go. Certainly would make the process quicker! Any particular brand you've used?

I went with the devondale stuff from woolies because it was on special at 90 cents per litre. The blue one that is. Milk powder is the aldi brand. All full fat...

Oh and for those not in the know, UHT is ultra heat treated, hence why it doesn't need heating up. It's still 100% milk.

If using "fresh milk" that's been homogenised and pasteurised it's still got microorganisms in it, that's why it goes off after a few days. So if you are going to heat it to near boiling to kill the bugs so you can leave the yogurt bugs a clean canvas to work on, you have basically made your own UHT milk anyway.

edit: so save on power and buy the UHT.

I tried making a batch with the uht last night. It didn't set as thickly and doesnt taste as... Yoghurty... as I am used to. Not a huge fan, but... I used the seed yoghurt I made in a jar last time... So that may have been the issue. I'll make yoghurt my normal way next time and make one uht to compare.

Folks round here seem big fans of the UHT but it's a big no-no when you make cheese (yoghurt is included as cheese, really it's just a cheese with a shorter culturation period that hasn't had rennet added). When you UHT milk you denature the proteins and make the milk a lot less like, well, milk. Taste UHT and then taste some normal pasteurised milk and you'll notice the difference. UHT just tastes kinda flat. Its shelf life is superb; not much else about it is good though.

The other issue of course is a lot of yoghurt culture degrades over time, basically because of the way most commercial manufacturers and scientists get their culture strains - basically picking one single bacteria cell and reproducing it so they have a known, reliable commodity. Cultures produced these ways are weaker, more susceptible to viruses and haven't developed the ability to survive in a variety of conditions - see if you can buy a heirloom culture, they're stronger and if treated properly should last forever. (Think I've mentioned this before, there should be a link to my supplier earlier in this thread or the cheese thread.)

Latest posts

Back