Home Made Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bizier

Petite Mutant
Reaction score
Has anyone here made their own grain mill?

I have been thinking of it because my ol' boy has a metal lathe, able to knurl etc.. and other relevant metalworking tools.

Does anyone know of good designs/pitfalls in grain mill designs?

Hey Bizier, Check out this thread for a few ideas, there are some pics of mine at the beginning and some other brewers towards the end.

I think the biggest tip is to make the diameters of the rollers as large as possible. This will allow you to have a finer knurl resulting in less shredding of the grain husk and an over all better crush. Adjustable is also nice but once you set the gap that suits your brew gear you dont end up changing it, so you might want to make is semi adjustable.

Cheers
Jye

Thanks Jye, that is food for thought, and it is nice to know that it has been done on here.

A Q. about the larger diam. rollers, you would just use thick walled tube with an endcap and a well positioned drive shaft? I am thinking that this might be an option to consider rather than solid SS rod (though it does look very sexy).

I'm beginning to think that this homebrewing bug won't be cured any time soon...

Can be done, you've just got to consider the stresses involved. Makes the endplate to shell connection fairly critical and the stresses in the shell itself. If you search "mega mill' in google you should find one that someone made out of some huge rollers and I'm pretty sure they were hollow.

I'm beginning to think that this homebrewing bug won't be cured any time soon...

No, no it wont :lol:

The mill pictured in post 22 of the linked thread is built just how you described but unfortunately the morebeer link no longer works. I think Mika is talking about the same one.

Found the link.

That Mega Mill looks like a ripper, and exactly what I was thinking. I reckon that if they were large enough, even hand-cranking these would be bearable if they chewed though a sufficient amount of grain per turn.

Thanks heaps for the tips, plenty of food for thought.

Dan

I have to say Bizier thanks for bringing this up. I am jest starting to get a few odds and ends together to one day go to AG. I have some bore casing approx 90mm dia laying around that would make some great rollers.

Latest posts

Back