Home Made Bbq Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another alternative is to use domestic hot water tanks.

They can be a bit messy to cleab up due to the insulation, but work great

Yeah definately, I cut a few open the other week, electric ones are the tank of choice as they don't has the internal chimney flu, but NG versions are fine also.

I'm happy to itemise parts and labour for custom builds

Thats an awesome piece of kit...Im looking to expand my outdoor kitchen once the new pergola and 100sqm of concrete is done...What is the time turn around on one of these?

i can knock one up in a day if you want one mate, as long as you dont feel guilty taking a brew day from me :) hahaha

i can knock one up in a day if you want one mate, as long as you dont feel guilty taking a brew day from me :) hahaha

if you knockd one up and i would come and do the brew for you so you wouldnt lose a day!

That looks awesome.

I have a crack at smoking some brisket in my hooded BBQ last summer and the results were OK, but a rig like that would have to be the business.

Just need to figure out how to convince SWMBO on this one ...

imagewukg.jpg

Firstly Mr tyreman... farkin jealous! just been getting together things to knock one of these up.... but mine will be considerably more ghetto than yours. nice jo mate.

in this photo, it looks like you're using a ball valve as a damper in your fire box... does this work well? the reason i ask is that because of the dimensions of my two drums air flow and over smoking may be a problem for me... but i'd much rather just stick in a ball valve than have to cut some sort of butterfly arrangement into stainless steel.

be great hear your advice

edit: just had a closer look at the picture... i can see the line of holes running out from the ball valve (duh). do you have a method of damping these?

does the smoke travel from the firebox through the food chamber by natural convection

What wood are you using? Just moved from NZ and sure of local timbers good to cook on. Cheers

My advice is to make sure your transfer pipe is as big or bigger than your exhaust, keep the exhaust low in the chamber, yes use some thing to regulate airflow into the fire box, I use a computer fan on the end of my ball valve, smoke is no problem getting into the tank, I took this with the smoke pouring out just for effect, it's very well sealed and hold smoke nicely, I have been using fruit trees to smoke with

My advice is to make sure your transfer pipe is as big or bigger than your exhaust, keep the exhaust low in the chamber, yes use some thing to regulate airflow into the fire box, I use a computer fan on the end of my ball valve, smoke is no problem getting into the tank, I took this with the smoke pouring out just for effect, it's very well sealed and hold smoke nicely, I have been using fruit trees to smoke with

I have been told to use fruit trees as well but am stumped as to where to get them from?

I have a unit that the father in law built from a small cheapy weber and a stainless drum. Much better now that I've got rid of the faint plastic smell.

Smoker.jpg

Rough as but I tried it out on some Kranskies that I made and it was hard not to eat them straight away. They were much better a few days later.

I am going to try to make some of the jerky in Merc's own book during the break.Got some spare venison in the freezer with jerky written all over it.

MB

I was fortunate enough to have a dead apricot tree in my backyard, otherwise I just use redgum and charcoal for heat, then add a water soaked stainless bucket of premixed mesquite and hickory chips for smoke. I'm about to start fabrication a unit for a fellow brewer out of 2 perpendicular 44 gallon drums... Like a T shape

Melaluca makes a great native smoking wood. :icon_cheers:

Less is more, they don't call it the Thin Blue Smoke for nothing

Have you guys heard about Guava wood for smoking? Lots if you google.
Anyway people close to me, I have lots of Guava that I'm going to clear, if you want wood it's yours. I'm talking quite a bit of timber here.

batz

Gave the smoker a birthday today..

new fire box, thermometer, lick of pot belly black and some flow control

gallery_10325_462_34199.jpg

gallery_10325_462_10609.jpg

gallery_10325_462_33142.jpg

gallery_10325_462_36136.jpg

gallery_10325_462_23692.jpg

gallery_10325_462_21854.jpg

:kooi:

Sorry I should probably say more, but I'm just so impressed. Great work! Very jealous.

Thanks mate, im hanging to fire it up and give her a test run with the new gear.

Latest posts

Back