Home brew in a fundraiser?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VP Brewing

Reaction score
Hey All,
A couple of mates are doing a 1100km bike ride in October raising money for breast and children's cancer and I've been asked to brew some beers for a men's fundraiser.
The event will be run where you buy a ticket, get food, beer and go into some draws for a whole heap of donated vouchers and goods. I think it will be mostly commercial beer but they want to have about 6 kegs of HB on tap too.
What are the legalities with making beer for such an event? The beer isn't for sale so I'm thinking it should be ok but got no idea really.
Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers, PVP

Can't remember the exact wording but I'm pretty sure you can't use it for profit, this includes encouraging people to spend money with the offer of a "free" beer.

I would definitely check the liquor act. the fines are bloody insane.

Some sort of insurance would apply I would think as you have intention to distribute, even if it's for free, and it's an organised function. (You know, everyone's out to sue every prick these days).

NSW have Office of Alcohol and Gaming. Id be calling someone like that.

In Vic, Yob has had some experience with this topic recently. Should be a thread somewhere here...

''Twas the Highland Hames in Melbourne. Laws will vary by state, but we were limited to giving out 100ml samples. Yob's your man though for more detail about the licensing here in Victoria.

Ok cheers. I'll get the guys that are organising it to make a few phone calls.

A temporary licence will allow you to sell packaged beer for consumption off site and to distribute 100ml 'samples' on site from kegged beer. If the venue you are at is fully licenced it helps as well.

You will defo need a temporary licence though as it's a ticketed event which is call implicit sale, you arent actually selling beer but it can be implied that it comes with the paid ticket.

Give the vcglr a call, everything I had to do is in >THIS< thread

Back