Home Brew Comp Style Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O'Henry

Reaction score
I was thinking of entering in the ESB Winter Brew Comp but am unsure if the beer I have brewed fits in with the styles. It was brewed for me and not with the comp in mind. I added some spices to it but other than that, I thought it was an Imperial Stout.
Does the adding of spices change it from being an Imperial Stout? Is entering the comp therefore a waste of time, or would it still be judged and commented upon?

[quote name='O'Henry' post='489369' date='Jul 10 2009, 09:35 AM']I was thinking of entering in the ESB Winter Brew Comp but am unsure if the beer I have brewed fits in with the styles. It was brewed for me and not with the comp in mind. I added some spices to it but other than that, I thought it was an Imperial Stout.
Does the adding of spices change it from being an Imperial Stout? Is entering the comp therefore a waste of time, or would it still be judged and commented upon?[/quote]
Spices when none are desireable to style, make people pull funny faces, and mark you down.
I reckon, for $5 + postage, it'd be worth a go.
Im keen to see your recipe, too, mate.. sounds awsome! :icon_cheers:

If the spices are REAL subtle and not easily noticeable you may survive in the RIS category. Otherwise stick to the specialty category - either the Spice/Herb/Veg beer category, or the Christmas Spiced Beer (I'd go this category if it suited).

If the spices are REAL subtle and not easily noticeable you may survive in the RIS category. Otherwise stick to the specialty category - either the Spice/Herb/Veg beer category, or the Christmas Spiced Beer (I'd go this category if it suited).
The categories for this ESB comp are limited, and Spice/Herb/Veg or xmas spiced is not included. Go the RIS, at least you will get feedback even if the spice is out of style.

Not all the categories are applicable. Only British Isles Styles. So no Spice/her/veg or Christmas Beer category. I think I'll give it a go. Will see how it is tasting next week.

edit: what he said. Beaten by my slow internet connection again...

Back