Holgate Brewery, Flat Beer,poor Barstaff,slap Time

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if I agree bum, internetz is where pseudo- anon toe- stepping handbags are the everyday, whereas Count Vourlaf is purports to represent the brewer and the OP is obviously an aggrieved return customer with quite high expectations. If it was some random anon just whining after the fact that the beer wasn't the weak fizzy piss other pubs serve then I'd be inclined to agree that some hardening up would be in order but I support the OP's whinge
All reasonable enough except that it isn't OP who is sooking about the response (and sooking is exactly what it is). Grown men unable to even watch someone else take an entirely provoked bro-knock.

The OP was a returning customer with a bad recent experience. Sure his rant was over the top but that doesn't take anything away by being snubbed by staff while questioning thier product. Ian should have known better and got straight to the free drinks and heads up bit. You cant please everybody.

Can everyone stop drinking the Temptress so they can bottle some and send it up to not so sunny Queensland. :)

Cheers,

Ed

Would you want that free pint after that response?

OP clearly had high expectations based on previous good experiences and was after all a returning customer. Ian's free to bro-knock but he basically shit where he eats. Not very smart. Better to put it off to one bad day than get caught up in a proclivity to get defensive.

Sure his rant was over the top but that doesn't take anything away by being snubbed by staff while questioning thier product.
Ian addressed this. I'm not going to say that sarcasm is the best way to deal with it but accepting OP's claims about the products undisputed means publicly accepting them as being founded - something Ian clearly disagrees with.

This 'customer is always right' stuff is an absolute load of shit.

Would you want that free pint after that response?
Free beer?

YUCK!

EDIT:
OP clearly had high expectations based on previous good experiences and was after all a returning customer.
And yet this didn't factor into OP's post at all. He just started spouting like a recalcitrant child. All he deserves is what he got - a response in kind.

But, if we have a look backwards a little, this isn't I'm finding bothersome - it is all the pointless white-knighting. OP can fight his own battles (especially when he starts them).

Ian addressed this. I'm not going to say that sarcasm is the best way to deal with it but accepting OP's claims about the products undisputed means publicly accepting them as being founded - something Ian clearly disagrees with.

This 'customer is always right' stuff is an absolute load of shit.

Right. So by not saying thanks for the feedback I'll look into it, give us a holla when next in. Ian has now tarnished the Holgate brand by creating this shit storm. After selling how ever many kegs that day and had 1 irrate customer he should have pulled his head in and not been so rightous on political stance.

If it's out of some sort of malice **** that. If Ian wanted to be sarcastic and defensive at least send the guy a pm instead of telling the whole world. Short point OP had high expectations based on previous experiences it's the fault of the business not to live up to that past experience.

Ian has now tarnished the Holgate brand by creating this shit storm.
I'm pretty sure Holgate's reputation is based on the quality (such that it may be) of their beers and not on a single response to a borderline illiterate's ramblings on one messageboard. As for this being a shitstorm - hardly. There's a sandstorm in some sensitive vaginas maybe.

If Ian wanted to be sarcastic and defensive at least send the guy a pm instead of telling the whole world.
Sure. I've personally received a number of such PMs from commercial brewers and this is probably a better way to go but anyone who lets this effect whether or not they buy a beer is a complete fuckwit. OP excluded, perhaps.

You're white knighting Ian or rather a business. How is that any different? Basically Ian is stupid- it would of been better to say nothing at all.

Look based on the OP I would still buy\visit Holgate but have reduced expectations. Look I'm getting tired too. Just admit Ian lost it on this one.

You're white knighting Ian or rather a business. How is that any different?
Because I'm not really talking about Ian (except where I have twice suggested that Ian's response may not have been the best) but how a bunch of soft sooks are reacting to his post.

Just admit Ian lost it on this one.
While perhaps ill-advised, his response is entirely justified. OP is an ignorant dickhead trying to white-ant a good brewery.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the response from Holgate.

To me it seemed OP had the "issues"

tnd

has anyone thoguht about the fact that ian might have been a little offended that his hard work was called shit. so I can see why he posted what he did.

unfortunately bum seems to be right about sensitive vaginas around here.

Okay it's a free country Ian is free to say what he says. Like you say one poster's experiences nor one employee's response on this forum aren't going to ruin a business. All I'm saying since imo since Ian's response was 'ill-advised' it wasn't justified and I'll leave it at that.

Honestly the biggest sensitive vagina in this thread is Ian, sometimes you just have shit days at work and have to leave it at that.

I'm pretty sure Holgate's reputation is based on the quality (such that it may be) of their beers and not on a single response to a borderline illiterate's ramblings on one messageboard. As for this being a shitstorm - hardly. There's a sandstorm in some sensitive vaginas maybe.

Sums up my feelings about this thread. Spot on Bum.

has anyone thoguht about the fact that ian might have been a little offended that his hard work was called shit. so I can see why he posted what he did.
unfortunately bum seems to be right about sensitive vaginas around here.

Ian's comments were also prefaced with an apology, a small rant followed by a peace offering. I like to call this "the apology sandwich".

You can try and act tough and mighty behind a keyboard or telephone and rant like a lunatic without any logic whatsoever but in most instances you are the one that ends up looking like the idiot. You will find real customer service doesn't always begin with the customer saying jump followed by a response of how high? Unless you're a pimply 15 year old at an undefined take-away chain used to having burgers thrown in your face because there is not enough mayo on them (yes i have seen this happen). These people should be directed to the door 99% of times.

My experiences with customer service is if you kick and scream like a child, you should be treated like one. "Go and sit on the naughty step and think about what you have done" as far as I'm concerned.

If you formulate a realistic argument, state logical issues and have some degree of tact you will almost always find the response you are seeking.

This thread has not jaded my view on Holgate but rather strengthened my feelings on the way they deal with vicious slandering of their products, establishment and staff. It would have been another yawn-fest and typical unemotional response if it stayed PC. Its all well and good to let the customer think they are right 99% of the time but sometimes things need to be said otherwise. I believe in this instance the correct response has been given.

Sorry for the sarcasm, it's an inherited trait. Let me reiterate - I apologise that he had a bad experience and hope he comes back so we can improve on it. I'll shout him a pint to make up for the flat one he got. And, yeah, it got by back up because we threw all we had into that Blonde and have had nothing but good feedback so far.

Speaking on my behalf, not the owners.

Cheers
Ian

Just my opinion, but isn't this what we want? A local brewer who is passionate about his beer, and who is good enough to even respond to criticism. Not everyone is going to like a product, but I suppose you can only try to please the majority of people.

In my experience, I would suggest that the Brewhouse needs 1 or 2 more staff on a Sunday (when I usually go), as it can be quite a wait for a beer. Other than that, I love the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back