Hole punches for s/s kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chubbytaxman

Reaction score
Brewers,

What is your favourite method of punching holes in the sides of kegs ... for things like 3 piece valves ... sight glasses etc etc
I have heard of Greenlea punches but they seem waaaaaaay expensive (US based item i suppose)
But what about here in OZ ... anything stack up to this? Stockists perhaps here on the forum???
I have tried the old step bit from the big green shed with heaps of lube (wore it out I might add :blink: ).
But i finished the job. Just not wanting to shell out for a step bit for every hole I need to do.

Thoughts ...

Buy a decent step drill bit (not from the green shed) and it will last you for years. That's what I did.

Get one of those, or just use a high speed metal holesaw, no dramas. Use some lube or DWD40 when drilling.

I was in bunnings the other day looking at drills for drilling a grain mill coupler, didn't get drills as they were $20 each. Saw the step bits for $50 each, bugger that

Incidentally, I got an aluminium shaft from a fellow I know, as I wasn't 100% sure I had correct size drill bits I asked him to drill the coupler for me. One end is now out of center and alignment, its farked, I'll have to get another.

Don't doubt your drilling skills, take it careful and easy, and you'll probably do a better job than a metalworker....

Edit - quick post above. Get a real drill of the right size, not a step bit - I know people use them and they go okay, but a better/proper bit will last a lot longer and likely do better holes

I'm with djbear . The hole saws work a treat . I purchased mine from Keg King to drill all my holes never been happier .

Sheet metal punch, all the freakin' way. So damn easy, little, if any, chance of work hardening. I can't begin to tell you how shocked I was on trying these. I thought, "Pffft, hand tools. Pain in the ass." No way. Way too easy. You need to drill a pilot hole though, but then it's just screw the back on, lube, turn with an allen key, out pops your plug leaving quite a neat hole. All these step bit stories convince me to stay well away from them. I got my punches from this lot on eBay. Not as expensive as the Greenlea punches, reasonable quality, but definitely not trade quality. I've used mine about 10 times so far. LOVE THEM!

+1 for tct hole saw and a slow and high torque drill with some cutting / cooling fluid

they cut into a keg like into butter

whats your location someone might offer to help...

Maheel said:
+1 for tct hole saw and a slow and high torque drill with some cutting / cooling fluid

they cut into a keg like into butter

whats your location someone might offer to help...
I am in Brisvegas Maheel ... Northside

Chassis punch from Blackwood's or specialty fasteners. 25mm is ~$50 but last a lifetime and guaranteed a clean hole.

Hey, I've got a greenlea 22mm conduit hole punch you can borrow if you're in Sydney, perhaps for a couple of Homebrew? After seeing how effortlessly you can make a perfect hole I'd never use anything else...

I'm not sure what my brew kettle is made of but I've been struggling to get a second hole in it. In the end, I gave up because even my carbide drill bits wouldn't go through it. I suspect my technique is at fault - haven't done a great deal of drilling in my time but I was at it for half an hour and hardly made a mark. All I wanted was another hole for a second heating element. Ended up going with one of those hand held affairs instead. Does the job just as well and I can use it in my HLT as well.

welly2 said:
I'm not sure what my brew kettle is made of but I've been struggling to get a second hole in it. In the end, I gave up because even my carbide drill bits wouldn't go through it. I suspect my technique is at fault - haven't done a great deal of drilling in my time but I was at it for half an hour and hardly made a mark. All I wanted was another hole for a second heating element. Ended up going with one of those hand held affairs instead. Does the job just as well and I can use it in my HLT as well.
Slow, some pressure, some cutting fluid and good sharp bits
Start with a small bit and build up (unless you're using holesaws, then just use the right size)

sp0rk said:
Slow, some pressure, some cutting fluid and good sharp bits
Start with a small bit and build up (unless you're using holesaws, then just use the right size)
As said above slow and sharp (brand new is even better )
I struggled with holes and ended buying a 10 pack of 3mm high speed tsteel bits and used a new one every hole.it may pay to start your hole again, although 1 crazy thibg that worked for me was when I snapped a bit I used that in my stuffed hole and it worked a treat

I used Greenlee punches on my blichmann kettles, couldn't have been easier or cleaner! I am a big advocate of spending that bit extra to get quality, especially when it comes to tools.

thefrothologist said:
Hey, I've got a greenlea 22mm conduit hole punch you can borrow if you're in Sydney, perhaps for a couple of Homebrew? After seeing how effortlessly you can make a perfect hole I'd never use anything else...
I would take you up on that Frothy ... Except I am in Brisvegas.

Have been sussing out evilbay so may go with one of the Q-Max ones as mentioned earlier (they seem to be an OK price)

Mardoo said:
Sheet metal punch, all the freakin' way. So damn easy, little, if any, chance of work hardening. I can't begin to tell you how shocked I was on trying these. I thought, "Pffft, hand tools. Pain in the ass." No way. Way too easy. You need to drill a pilot hole though, but then it's just screw the back on, lube, turn with an allen key, out pops your plug leaving quite a neat hole. All these step bit stories convince me to stay well away from them. I got my punches from this lot on eBay. Not as expensive as the Greenlea punches, reasonable quality, but definitely not trade quality. I've used mine about 10 times so far. LOVE THEM!
What size would the pilot hole be Mardoo ??

if you just need some 20mm holes for threaded 1/2 inch bulkhead type fittings i can help you out with a tct hole cutter

if your happy to drive to Bulimba and bring the keg we can drill it in the spot

20mm sometimes needs a tilny little bit of filing depending on the fitting....

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1424921246.710248.jpg
I bought a hydraulic hole punch awesome tool. $95 on ebay

Latest posts

Back