Hoegaarden Grand Cru Recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The coriander at 60 might be a yanky thing as I typically adapt from their recipes for Wits? I've never tried them later in the boil and I've always been happy. Like anything in brewing its all about trial and error?

Just doing a quick google I've seen examples ranging from 60 mins to flame out.

Corriander at the end so you don't loose the aromatics, probably at flameout -5, also use the "indian" coriander

I usually (as often as I make Witbier), make a number of additions of both coriander (freshly crushed) and orange peel at 15, 5, and 0 minutes.

This is as matter of habit and has no basis in logic or tradition (outside of my brewing). I think I got the suggestion from a US extract Wit recipe.
However, I was rewarded with a 3rd place at Bathurst a few years back with one of my partial mash Wits. So it must have been acceptable, at least.

Either way, I'll be using WLP410 (Wit II) in my Grand Cru.

Beerzup :chug:
Les

I checked the back of a bottle today and all it mentioned for ingredients was (IIRC) Malt + Wheat.

Attached is my version of HG Grand Cru. Originally brewed with 3.5kg's of leatherwood honey that was just too much.

I had to attach it as a Jpeg.

Cheers

Grand_Cru_Clone.JPG

Thread resurrection time

I've been enjoying this beer a lot - my cnr bottle shop has started stocking it.

Any of the brewers from this thread (or others) got any reports on the recipes they've tried? Is the Wy forbidden fruit definitely the one?

Cheers

Les's H GC recipe is here

I dont mind the look of browndogs recipe (post 18) as a starting point but would do a bit more hunting around to tweak it

I had thought about making this but havent done anything about formulating a recipe.

Back