Hix Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had it a while ago, wasnt bad.

Head brewer is a member of Bayside Brewers, and I'm pretty sure he emailed out his malt bill to us a couple of months back.

Will try to dig it up for you.

Beers arent bad but they really want to work on their presentation of their beers at the brewery/winery
Perhaps a list of the beers and some tasting notes rather than just 5 tiny glasses
Also perhaps teach the wait staff to let the beers flow through on a hot day if your not going to invest in a flooded font so a punter doesnt have glasses of 90% foam...

he wasnt the one in the speedos at last club night was he.

i really need to send him the bill for my sessions to remove that image from my memory.
at least if he does it again he should shave first.

I've been meaning to get down to the winery for a while to suss out the range.
Had the Pale Ale this arvo.....I think it was a clone of one of my beers...weird!

Beers arent bad but they really want to work on their presentation of their beers at the brewery/winery
Perhaps a list of the beers and some tasting notes rather than just 5 tiny glasses
Also perhaps teach the wait staff to let the beers flow through on a hot day if your not going to invest in a flooded font so a punter doesnt have glasses of 90% foam...
I've been there a few times and really enjoy their beer and food. They do now give you tasting notes with the beers and they served them in those small wine glasses with Bayside Brewers on the side. (Well they did the last time we went which was back at Xmas time.)

Head brewer is a member of Bayside Brewers, and I'm pretty sure he emailed out his malt bill to us a couple of months back.

Will try to dig it up for you.

+1

I'd like to give it a try as well.

I really enjoyed the Pale each time I've had it, the brown is a winner also!

I really enjoyed the Pale each time I've had it, the brown is a winner also!

Yeah, I enjoyed the Pale as well.
Out of the 500ml bottle it was a little cloudy, nice head and lacing, low/medium carbonation level.

Nice simple balance of pale malt, i suspect some crystal and subtle pine hoppy notes.

It was a very tame PA, probably about the right balance of craftness to appease most megaswillers. Definately not a polarising boutique beer, but probably not quiet enough to keep the seasoned homebrewer raving.

Having said that, i think it is a very 'wise' saleable brew.

Must try the brown....wouldn't mind an invite from the man himself??

If the brewery is on the forum and reading this; you really need to update the beer section of your website. The description for the brown ale is almost unreadable and makes little sense, and the stout description seems to be to be lifted wholesale from the Wikipedia entry for Murphy's - including the name Murphy's!

Had heard the darker beers were better at Hix.

That said haven't been myself so merely heresay and comments were made to me mid-way through last year I think. Need to do a tour methinks and take in Mornington Brewery, Red Hill & Hix. See what that part of the world has been up to.

Hopper.

If the brewery is on the forum and reading this; you really need to update the beer section of your website. The description for the brown ale is almost unreadable and makes little sense, and the stout description seems to be to be lifted wholesale from the Wikipedia entry for Murphy's - including the name Murphy's!

Ha - that's funny! I wonder what Murphy's would think about their marketing blurb being taken word for word...

Hix website said:
In comparison to its more bitter and heavier Guinness, the underdog Murphy's is a lighter and sweeter dry stout. Its flavour is evocative of caramel and malt, and can be described as 'a distant relative of chocolate milk'. The resemblance to milk extends beyond flavour to texture; Murphy's is free from any hint of carbonation, and is delivered black as strong cappuccino with an inch of foam 'the head' on top. The head, in particular, is lauded for its remarkably thick and creamy nature and its 'spoonable' density.

Murphys website said:
In comparison to its more bitter and heavier chief competitors, Guinness and Beamish, the underdog Murphy's is a lighter and sweeter dry stout. Its flavour is evocative of caramel and malt, and is described as "a distant relative of chocolate milk". The resemblance to milk extends beyond flavour to texture; Murphy's is free from any hint of carbonation, and is delivered "black as strong cappuccino" with an inch of foam "the head" on top. The head, in particular, is lauded for its remarkably thick and creamy nature and its "spoonable" density.

Yeah well, it took about two seconds for me to google the Murphy's description after I read that blurb and thought..."Murphy's? I thought this was the Hix Stout? Hang on..." Pretty poor on the copy side of things! I hope they didn't pay a 3rd party to do their web copy for them.

That said haven't been myself so merely heresay and comments were made to me mid-way through last year I think. Need to do a tour methinks and take in Mornington Brewery, Red Hill & Hix. See what that part of the world has been up to.

Hopper.

Well the worth the trip mate and to keep the missus happy theres also RedHill Cheese and Mornington Peninsula Chocolates at Flinders. Not to mention all the wineries, cherry farms etc etc.

Well the worth the trip mate and to keep the missus happy theres also RedHill Cheese and Mornington Peninsula Chocolates at Flinders. Not to mention all the wineries, cherry farms etc etc.

Sounds like a plan! haha :D

They sell the full Hix range at Majestic Cellars, if you didnt already know.

Yep thats my local bottlo in Mt Eliza...thats where i got the PA.
I want to hit the brewery before tasting any more from teh bottlo, hence reserving my opinion for the cellar door experience.

Sounds like you will be organising a Peninsula produce tour soon Truman?

Back