High initial wort temp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yuz

Reaction score
Short story: pitched S-04 @ ~30C, 28L batch @ 1.040 in the evening and cooled overnight down to 20. Pressure set to 20PSI later in the day.
Didn't expect the yeast to fire up so quickly so now I'm a bit nervous about esters / fusel alcohols...

Some conflicting info re: esters & warm wort early in ferment:

"A common mistake that homebrewers make is pitching the yeast when the wort has not been chilled enough, and is still relatively warm."

"Question: Does high temperature early in fermentation, during the growth phase increases ester production?
Answer: No, during the growth phase ester production is reduced because acetyl- CoA is used (tied up) for yeast growth and is not available for ester production."

What are your thoughts / experiences? Can an Ale yeast produce a lot nasties in 8 hours of the initial "warm" ferment?

PS - I won't be doing this again, just a bit concerned about this batch...

I'm just drinking a Belgian brune I did in December, I pitched the 2L yeast starter at 24 C, it got off to vigorous fermentation very quickly and rose to 26 C the next day, peaking at 28 on the third day. It is the best brune I have done, it has a huge range of flavors, my point being high temp fermentation is not always bad.

I doubt you will notice anything wrong with your beer and you might even like it better than a cold or cooler fermented batch

Short story: pitched S-04 @ ~30C, 28L batch @ 1.040 in the evening and cooled overnight down to 20. Pressure set to 20PSI later in the day.
Didn't expect the yeast to fire up so quickly so now I'm a bit nervous about esters / fusel alcohols...

Some conflicting info re: esters & warm wort early in ferment:

"A common mistake that homebrewers make is pitching the yeast when the wort has not been chilled enough, and is still relatively warm."

"Question: Does high temperature early in fermentation, during the growth phase increases ester production?
Answer: No, during the growth phase ester production is reduced because acetyl- CoA is used (tied up) for yeast growth and is not available for ester production."

What are your thoughts / experiences? Can an Ale yeast produce a lot nasties in 8 hours of the initial "warm" ferment?

PS - I won't be doing this again, just a bit concerned about this batch...
I warm pitch lots of my beers, especially if I am struggling to chill those last few degrees and don't want to waste a heap of water doing it.

30c is a tad high, but nothing outrageous considering you cooled it down pretty quick. It will be completely fine, most likely.

I'll let it ferment out as long as possible so the yeast can clean up any nasties.
Surprised to see it start so rapidly, new yeast usually takes a day to show visible ferment.
Live and learn :)

Back