High Gravity Solution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPH87

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

I just brewed an all grain (BIAB) Mexican Lager, I was aiming for a 1.047 SG but got 1.057 SG.

I got distracted at the start of the boil................

I no chill and still had enough to fill the cube but do I need to add water to get it back up to 23lt when I ferment it?

Cheers

Ben

My first couple of BIAB's when I was still working out my gear 18-19 Litres into the fermenter was normal and I would just top it up, would be no different to when you used to fill kit'n'kilos with water.

You could always preboil an extra couple of litres a few hours before you're ready to go to get rid of chlorine.

There's some calculators around the place that'll tell you what it'll dilute down to as well. (Chances are you're not far off your diluted target)

edit: http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html has a calc on it

If you have bittered to 23 l then yes you should!!

To work it out have a look at the this, copied from another brewer

16L of 1.078 from 4.2kg of grain and 0.2kg of sugar (which is to style), should dilute to 26L, the dilution formula I use for a target OG of 1.047: 78 / 47 * 16 = 26.5. I don't know exactly, but around 80% efficient. Happy days!

Hey brewers,

I just brewed an all grain (BIAB) Mexican Lager, I was aiming for a 1.047 SG but got 1.057 SG.

I got distracted at the start of the boil................

I no chill and still had enough to fill the cube but do I need to add water to get it back up to 23lt when I ferment it?

Cheers

Ben

What volume did you have at the end of the boil?

You could top it up before fermenting, but depends what you are after. Could just leave it and have a stronger beer.

I had about 19lt at the end of boil. It is a mexican lager so probably should top it back up to 23lt.

Thanks for the replies

Latest posts

Back