High Fg. In A Bock. Wtf.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickledkiwi2

Reaction score
Ok guys, I have a Black Rock Bock in the fermenter at the moment, I put it down 12 days ago. The brew was 1.7 Black Rock Bock Extract, 500grms DME, 250 DCS and 500grms dextrose. Pitched Nottingham yeast at 26deg. The OG was 1054 and after 9 days the sg was 1020 and hasnt moved since, the brew has been steady at 24 deg.
WTF????????

Appreciate any comments/help.
Cheers BDA :blink:

Ok guys, I have a Black Rock Bock in the fermenter at the moment, I put it down 12 days ago. The brew was 1.7 Black Rock Bock Extract, 500grms DME, 250 DCS and 500grms dextrose. Pitched Nottingham yeast at 26deg. The OG was 1054 and after 9 days the sg was 1020 and hasnt moved since, the brew has been steady at 24 deg.
WTF????????

Appreciate any comments/help.
Cheers BDA :blink:

In one sense I'm not surprised. The Bock kit could have a relatively high degree of ingredients that don't ferment out fully. Then corn syrup would affect this.

Having said that you may have a stuck fermentation. Try giving your fermenter a swirl to encourage the yeasties to eat some more. You don't need to open it, just get a little bit of a swirl going.

Then measure it after a day or so.

If it really doesn't move then you have a Bock with lots of body and bottle anyway...

I've bottled an IPA that was that high and it was very tasty...

In one sense I'm not surprised. The Bock kit could have a relatively high degree of ingredients that don't ferment out fully. Then corn syrup would affect this.

Having said that you may have a stuck fermentation. Try giving your fermenter a swirl to encourage the yeasties to eat some more. You don't need to open it, just get a little bit of a swirl going.

Then measure it after a day or so.

If it really doesn't move then you have a Bock with lots of body and bottle anyway...

I've bottled an IPA that was that high and it was very tasty...

Thanks for the reply bconnery, I will give it a go this evening. I dont mind a full bodied beer so I guess from your comments if the beer tastes good then the higher fg dosnt matter that much??

You didn't mix up the corn syrup and dextrose did you?

That fg does seem very high. Like bconnery said, give it a swirl and try tomorrow.

Are you experiencing swings in temperature? Maybe your yeast is stopping and starting. Although you do say it has fermented at 24 deg.

Thanks for the reply bconnery, I will give it a go this evening. I dont mind a full bodied beer so I guess from your comments if the beer tastes good then the higher fg dosnt matter that much??

The higher FG isnt that important, especially not in a beer that often has a bit more body.

If you were brewing a beer that you wanted to be like a carlton draught or a fosters then 1020 wouldn't give you what you were looking for.

So, absolutely you could bottle at that level. I would definitely try and see if it has finished fermenting for sure though...

Nottingham is normally pretty good at eating everything it can lay it's hands on too...

1020 is a bit high for a bock with nottigham as nottigham is a good attenuator i go with pints advice

Gurus,

I currently have a Porter sitting in seccondary @ 1020 as well ( after an OG of 1060 temp controlled ). I assumed that it has probably finished. Im not surprised at the higher reading as it has a lot of gear in it. I think i just need a seccond opinion.

1x Beermakers Old
1kg Amber LME
250g Golden syrup
200g Crystal
200g Choc
Windsor Yeast
made to 18 liters

( recipie bastardised from one supplied by GMK. Thanks Ken. :) )

Cheers

Leary

High FG are not really a problem ... as long as all the fermentables have been mostly consumed.

I had a stout that started at 1.081 and only went down to 1.032 ( coopers pale ale yeast ).

I let it heat up to 28C, shook it around, even took of the lid and stirred the yeast back into suspension. Finally I repitched another lot of ale yeast, and it went down to 1.030. Still tasted bloody good.

On the other hand I had a Hefiwezien that went from 1.053 to 1.010 ... it was getting near to Christmas .. needed to be bottled ... surely it wasn't going to go any further ... well lets just say that it wasn't a very happy new year in the beer cupboard :(

So don't get too worried about where the beer stops, as long as you are sure it really has stopped.

Stuck fermentations are mostly the result of yeast health problems ( which is mostly the result of under-pitching to begin with, or pitching yeast of dubious viability which pretty much amounts to the same thing ).

If you pitch the right amount of yeast you do not really need to worry too much about this problem.

Here is a link to an online yeast calculator that might help if you want to know the "recommended" amount to pitch.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Cheers

Back