Hi from Newcastle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linny

Reaction score
Hey my name is Linny some may have seen me on other forums, I'm actually doing this back to front... I started brewing about 2 years ago but it was the darker side of brewing with stillin. Started with sugar washes and then moved onto AG mashes even though ive been a member here for 6 months ive been using your site to learn about mashing and mash tuns. Alot of people at my work brew beer so i thought i would have a crack at it.... Figured it would be easier .... but i was SO SO SO WRONG !

1st batch i did in 330ml stubbies was a ginger beer... forgot to clean caps and 3/4 of it got infected so i cracked the shits and threw the stubbies = fail
2nd batch was a Coopers Cerveza with tallies but got the bulk prime figure wrong and its basically a flat beer = fail
3rd batch was a AG fatyak which was a success , but still need to play around with the flavour hops .... i think i short cut my self on the hops since the bitterness is a bit over the top ( a little )

I dont really drink that much beer but the craft of mashing interests me alot , thinking that it can also help my AG mashes for the darker arts...

I started with BIAB in a Big W 20L pot with a false bottom , then i build my new BIAB mash tun. It actually works really well its a 2400w element with a PID controller , SSR and a 5amp DC pwr supply with a small pump for circulation there is also a drain under the controller box.

20131009_190719.jpg20131030_190802.jpg

Dont know much else to say apart from that im from Newcastle, NSW and currently after more crown top bottles... kegging is pretty much out of the equation.... ive even contemplated using the tap king hack that ive seen around here.

Tighes Hill is the artsy spot now Nev. You should of stayed.

Rurik said:
Tighes Hill is the artsy spot now Nev. You should of stayed.
Yes the terrace house I rented (nice pinks and greys) was owned by an art dealer and there were gays moving in so i could see that it was going up in value.
I was drinking at the Royal Oak (?), it was a bit run down but the crew were artists and music folk .
Nev

Haha..... my first beer in a pub was at the Royal Oak...... when i was 16.

welcome linny, you've got a fantastic suppler there, if you are ever up Old Bar way call in and I'll learn ya how BIAB's done :lol:

hint: until you get your bottle supply sorted, 1.25L soft drink bottles make excellent HB bottles, just keep them in a dark place.

I think royal oak may be no longer
Oh yeah welcome. I'm in whitebridge
Get to know mark @ mhb, good guy
Andrew

Tony said:
Haha..... my first beer in a pub was at the Royal Oak...... when i was 16.
Going to the TAFE across the road ?
Funny I always felt safe in that pub, and the owner of the time owned the winner of the Golden Slipper.
Fun times and I did photo shoots of some of the band s that hung around.
Nev

yep.

Lunch break each week we would all wander over for 2 beers, games of pool and a steak sandwhich.

Bloody hell, that was 23 years ago now

Yeah already get grain from MHB :) im out towards Maitland way so i get my bits and peices from Country Brewer and jump on the larger orders from the guys from work when they order from MHB

Hey , just been to Bitter and Twisted beer festival in maitland NSW ,,,, I loved the morpeth stout and Murrays punch and judy .... i was wondering if someone that could link me a similar AG recipe to start the brewing journey ... not neccessarily after a exact copy but something in the ball park. :D . I put this here because i dont know where else to ask

Back