Hi from new guy who likes his micro breweries but is short on space for brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmwalker

Reaction score
Hi chaps. Yup, another new guy here, essentially courtesy of a recent purchase of a, "Coopers Brew Kit, 1st Batch" (makes 4.5L). Having watched my father brew beer years ago (we're talking in the late 60's here...), I quickly realise that this particular kit seemed very simple and perhaps a touch too easy(?). i.e. I have difficulty believing that the end result will be anything of note. I think in hindsight I should have bought the 8.5L brew kit that comes with a few more bits. Anyway, at this stage of the game, I'm hoping to simply re-use the same plastic brewing container and make a few more small batches.

So, given that for now, I don't have a hydrometer or a brewing vessel with a Krausen Kollar (or any artificial temperature control), can I still continue to make small (4.5L) batches of anything interesting (IPA's or Red beers or wheat beers), or will I be limited to - I dunno - something similar to the lager the kit is supplied with (1 * LIGHT Malt Extract, 420g, EBC 3 + 1 * Lager Brewing Extract 250g)? Basically, I'd like to use the same, simple technique to, "brew" my next beer attempt. Could I for example get the following, and just mix them in similar quantities as the original extracts?:

Thomas Coopers Amber Malt Extract
Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale (Brewing extract)

Anyway, that's more than enough questions to start with.

Regards,

Stuart

a) Without temp control, in your situation and knowing what I know now, I'd just whack the original kit ingredients in with half a sachet of a saison yeast and let it play out now we're coming into the warmer months. You also have the kveik yeast option as well. Both will work with your ingredient options. I like the Opshaug yeast as it is quite clean. b) Go meet your local homebrew shop proprietor and develop a relationship. c) Find a local brew club. d) STay engaged on here, in 12 months time you'll gaze upon the vast quantities of stainless steel in what was your laundry and wonder how did that happen.

Thanks for the tips Spacman. My head's spinning already with the mention of the various yeasts - jesus, I suspect there's a bit of a steep learning curve here. I'll start playing around and see how we go. The prospect of stainless steel in the laundry will impress my wife no end.

I've never needed a krausen collar so i wouldnt go out of my way to get one, the coopers 23l fermenter is good as its probably one of the easiest to clean.
If you have a room that keeps a reasonably constant temp you can get away brewing many beer styles without temp control.

Latest posts

Back