Hi From FNQ

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indica86

Reaction score
Afternoon.
I have been homebrewing for years but have only just made a grain / extract brew.
After drinking some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (at last, being a tight arse I hate paying for beer) and really enjoying it I searched for a clone recipe and had a go.
I bought the wrong grains, the realised the 19l I was looking at making was not the 23 I wanted.
I altered it and the house smelled great. OG 1060. Smells great, very much looking forward to it.

500gm Crystal Medium

70 degrees for 30 min

12g Magnum Hops

@ 60 min

25g Perle Hops

@ 30 min

90g Cascade Hops

@ 10 min, 30g with the rest @ flameout

2 Brew Enhancer 2

2 Cans Coopers Light Malt Extract

Sachet Safale US05

Obviously I can spend less on malt, but up here there are limited options

No temp control but the laundry is nice n cool.
Sitting on 25 ish - maybe a bit too warm - but when it is 30 outsdie it's not too bad.

Mate, sit it in the laundry tub filled with water and stick a frozen bottle of ice in the water.

Careful to not knock the tap off the fermenter and also spray some sanitizer in the tap before bottling/racking.

Still, 25 isn't too bad.

Saison yeasts. I am doing one next after I bottle this batch. Looking forward to not having to use the fridge for fermenting.

I'll see how this one turns out and try something different if I need.
Thanks for the tips.

Botled it today. 3 days @ 1.018.
Smells like passionfruit.
Brewed a Blackrock APA can along side and bottled at the same time.
It will be interesting to compare.

Welcome mate!
If you can get temps to low 20's (via water in sink method mentioned, or similar-wet towel around fermenter) do so and see if there's any improvement to your beer.
If you can't taste any difference, then as you were. :drinks:

Saison's (also as mentioned) are great for warmer temps.

Cheers

Back