Hi everyone (Gluten free brewing)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I thought I would introduce myself to the group after being told by a good mate (thanks Daniel [emoji6]).
I'm Azza I'm a celiac brewer from Brisbane I started home brewing as minimal (and bloody expensive) gluten free beers on the commercial market. As everyone can relate my hobby has turned into a obsession lol (running 3 fermenters ATM).
Is there any unfortunate members like me (celiacs) as I have been brewing and researching loads of converted GF recipes and would love to share and swap some. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1495314247.807156.jpg

I'm not a celiac myself, (I love gluten, I can't get enough) but my mother/brothers in law are so every now and then I do brew a GF batch every so often.

I didn't find the sorghum syrup too bad, but there was definitely something amiss without the ability to use any spec malts... I'm actually keen to hear some of your fav recipes and ideas for next time I brew one.

Im currently sourcing some Clarity Ferm to use in a "gluten reduced" beer.

Although i know it isn't specifically certified as gluten free, it has been really successful with celiacs.

Have you tried it?

Also keen to hear of some of the gluten free recipes everyone has.

damoninja said:
I'm not a celiac myself, (I love gluten, I can't get enough) but my mother/brothers in law are so every now and then I do brew a GF batch every so often.

I didn't find the sorghum syrup too bad, but there was definitely something amiss without the ability to use any spec malts... I'm actually keen to hear some of your fav recipes and ideas for next time I brew one.
Thanks for the message. I have found a lot of gf recipients online and am doing a Brown next with miller and buckwheat also but if you been a good recipe hit me up I'll flip you over a link on one of the good sites.

lespaul said:
Im currently sourcing some Clarity Ferm to use in a "gluten reduced" beer.
Although i know it isn't specifically certified as gluten free, it has been really successful with celiacs.

Have you tried it?

Also keen to hear of some of the gluten free recipes everyone has.
No haven't tried it buddy but will look into it however I am very sensitive to gluten so will have to look into it more. I'll pop some of the recipes I have found up when I get a chance over the next few weeks.

All my brews have Clarity Ferm for my wife who is coeliac.
She can drink and enjoy it but to be fair isn't a session drinker. Also have father in law plus friends who are coeliac who enjoy it.
If you want to try then pick up some Omission from Dan's. It uses clarity ferm (brewers claret industrially) at the recommended rate so should mirror what you would achieve in a home brew.

enoch said:
All my brews have Clarity Ferm for my wife who is coeliac.
She can drink and enjoy it but to be fair isn't a session drinker. Also have father in law plus friends who are coeliac who enjoy it.
If you want to try then pick up some Omission from Dan's. It uses clarity ferm (brewers claret industrially) at the recommended rate so should mirror what you would achieve in a home brew.
Sweet I'll look into it more sounds great. I have always been an obrien gf beer fan (brewed in home town in VIC Ballarat) and also the Wilde beer but as a usual Aussie bringer it's unattainable to afford it so hence the home brewing and the love for ciders. If you google grants gluten free home brew recipes he has amazing easy recipes too (Australian guy). Happy brewing and always remember "a brew is always better shared".

Clarity fermenter isn't safe for Coeliacs...I posted options for GF recipes and the link to research here: https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/gluten-free-beer.99031/

Short version is Clarityferm and other enzymes help it pass the gluten test, but don't necessarily remove the gluten. More research is needed...

How can you say it is not safe? Clarity firm reduces gluten and is below the US FDA limits. We have a tighter limit in AU. Not sure on the research needed, it is made by one of the largest firms for process aids in the world.

AG at TwoBays has just commissioned a purely GF plant and I hunk they plan to sell the grains as well. Voyager also has GF malted product, so product is available.

How can you say it is not safe? Clarity firm reduces gluten and is below the US FDA limits. We have a tighter limit in AU. Not sure on the research needed, it is made by one of the largest firms for process aids in the world.

AG at TwoBays has just commissioned a purely GF plant and I hunk they plan to sell the grains as well. Voyager also has GF malted product, so product is available.
Two bays already do.
https://www.twobays.beer/collections/malts
I will be ordering some for the Mrs.
They do recipe kits aswell on the site with instructions.

Because the producer of clarity ferm cannot prove that it reliably results in no detectable gluten (usually accepted as <3ppm, due to measurement methods). US/EU standards and Aus standards are quite different - we require 'no detectable' gluten, they merely require <20 ppm. ANY level of gluten (even just a few ppm) can be harmful in the long term to some true coeliacs, so Aus have the best standards. Under Aus standards, clarity ferm isn't proven, whereas it is under US/Euro standards.
Therefore, it can be comfortably stated that a standard barley beer made with clarity ferm isn't safe for coeliacs

Sorry to labour, but does the supplier make the claim? I’ve used this product extensively to stop polyphenol haze pickup in small pack and I cannot remember any other information than cutting gluten to less than 20ppm. And it can only be labelled ‘gluten reduced’. So again, no claims made, up to the consumer to take responsibility.

Be good to see how AG goes, he has put a lot of research in, good on em.

Sorry to labour, but does the supplier make the claim?

What I said was in reply to your question as to how @xflibble could say that clarity ferm isn't safe for coeliacs. I'm not saying that the producer states that it makes beers gluten free, in fact, you're correct that they only claim that clarity ferm will make beers made with barley and wheat 'gluten reduced'.
Therefore, until it is proven to make beer gluten free by Australian standards, beer produced using it isn't safe for coeliacs.

Latest posts

Back