herm-it element enclosure - how do I make one?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philistine

Reaction score
I want to mount an enclosure to the terminal end of a heating element.
Pretty much exactly like these ones.
I cant quite figure out how though. The element's threads are on the outside, so how is the enclosure attached?
The pic of the enclosure shows some screws, Im assuming two are for the mounting and the third is obviously for attaching an earth wire. but I can figure out what the 'mounting' screws are actually doing .... have they just been tapped straight into the brass base of the element?
Has anyone made something like this before?
The end game is enclose the terminals of the element, have them wired to a fuse protected IEC socket and then insert the whole thing into the base of a small vessel that holds a herm-it coil.
cheers!

Mardoo said:
Have a look at The Electric Brewery's pages on element installation. They give a pretty clear idea. Hope that helps. They have a particular way of installing elements that's damn solid. Everyone I know who has used their system has had zero issues. But then, I don't know everyone... ;)

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements?page=7
Cheers man, yeah I have seen that - and that was my first idea, but the one in the link I posted above is done differently and was just wondering if anyone knew how.

But, my main reason for considering another way was the amount of thread on the element (or lack thereof). I was worried that once Id sandwiched a washer , an o-ring, the enclosure plus the wall of the vessel, that I wouldnt have enough thread left to tighten it all up together properly.
Now that Im looking closely at the link you posted, it looks like they have a similar issue, but with juuuuuuuusssst enough thread left to get that lock nut on

Im also wondering if maybe a plastic enclosure is a bad idea....?
Im assuming that if they're being sold that way then they're probably ok...?
Waaaaay easier to cut plastic than metal that's all.....

Quote........The pic of the enclosure shows some screws, Im assuming two are for the mounting and the third is obviously for attaching an earth wire. but I can figure out what the 'mounting' screws are actually doing .... have they just been tapped straight into the brass base of the element?

Yes the housing is screwed to the brass base of the element.

I made one out of a stainless steel pot.

Buy your element, then goto a kitchen supplies store.
Find a pot that is big enough to take the element and whatever Hx coll you want to use.
I used a herm-it coil with a flat-spiralled element (like a stove hot-plate) so the element sits just beneath the Hx coil.

Then I cut an appropriate sized hole in the bottom (32mm for mine) and mounted the element with it's silicone sealing washer.
Outside of this I used some PVC sewer pipe with end-caps to make a round "box" underneath it to house the electricals.

Make sure any sort of metal parts of your contraption are properly earthed.

Thanks man, yeah i was referring specifically to the element mount itself.
Ive built the HEX, now just looking at ways to enclose the element base and terminals.
I wanna use a square abs enclosure thats big enough for it to sit on
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496439518.192387.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496439538.496225.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496439552.034736.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496439598.654244.jpg

And i wanna install it onto this, using that iec socket with the switch and fuse.
The steel thing resting on top is just to show how the vessel would fit. Its the same diameter as the hex vessel
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1496439770.797162.jpg

The main issue ive got is that the element mount only has so much thread. I reckon i'd be pushing it to simply sandwich everything together using the element locknut.
Thats why i was curious about those ones i linked above in the original post, because in the photo it shows that they're actually screwed directly on to the mount externally.

A couple of things; I wouldn't use an IEC socket, I don't like them for brewing purposes because tripping on a lead will pull it out and it may be live. Not real safe with lots of water every where. I like the powercon connectors they're rated to 20 amps and lock in, so the only lead that can come out is the one plugged into the wall if tripped on. Also ensure the wiring enclosure has a hole at it's lowest point in case of a leak.

Both 5star and stilldragon do stainless element guard kits though they are a little pricey.

The hermit enclosure looks awesome care to share it's origin ?

Cheers

Mike

Nebes said:
What is that hex housing made from?
Originally it they were 2 x stainless steel tea canisters. I cut the bottom off one and joined them togther.
Because they're pressed from sheet metal with a tight fitting lid, the opening at the top made a rigid and almost airtight seal when I pushed the bottom of the other canister into it. Finished it off with some silicone on the inside.

malt junkie said:
A couple of things; I wouldn't use an IEC socket, I don't like them for brewing purposes because tripping on a lead will pull it out and it may be live. Not real safe with lots of water every where. I like the powercon connectors they're rated to 20 amps and lock in, so the only lead that can come out is the one plugged into the wall if tripped on. Also ensure the wiring enclosure has a hole at it's lowest point in case of a leak.

Both 5star and stilldragon do stainless element guard kits though they are a little pricey.

The hermit enclosure looks awesome care to share it's origin ?

Cheers

Mike
Cheers, yeah I might replace the socket. Im not too worried about leads being in the way, as the stand and mounted control panel will sit in a way that tucks them all out of harms way.
Im using powercon connecters for all the control panel outlets, so it wouldnt be to much of a stretch to use one as an inlet on the HEX's enclosure.
I do kinda like the additional switch and fuse in the IEC socket though

As for an element guard, the HEX will be kind of sitting in that spare lid shown in the pic, snadwiched between the vessel and the enclosure. The idea being that it would kinda act as a drip tray

haha, just saw a typo I made - "Snadwiched" ...

Snadwich sounds rad

Re; the steel housing -
MAN, I scoured the internet for ideas and searched through op shops and variety stores FOR WEEKS! Maybe even close to 2 months.... searching for the elusive perfect solution (i really wanted it to be stainless).
I looked into buying sanitary spools - but they are ******* expensive! Then I looked into buying a length of 4" stainless exhaust pipe and making one from scratch... still too expensive....
Eventually I came across an asparagus cooker in an op shop for $8 and it was almost perfect... They cost over $100 for cheap ones!!! but the lid... the lid was loose and just rested on top the way any other saucepan lid does.... I started trying to figure out ways to latch it down or secure it or screw or tack weld something on to fasten it down.... I still have it here and who knows, I may convert it one day. Its nice and sturdy with thicker guage steel....
Then finally I realised the solution was right under my nose - my tea canister! So I bought another one and just joined em together. Perfect size, tight fitting lid, real easy to work with.

What about replacing the lid of the enclosure with a thin piece of stainless? That way you won't run out of thread on the element. Karl from the electric brewery does something similar.

I have a couple of those hermit elements, i'm pretty sure the enclosure has just been cut out to the shape of the brass head of the element and then glued in place. I'll take a photo later if i get a chance

Nope it is screwed to the brass, there is some kind of silicone as well though.

1496455637275.jpg

thanks for doing that!
Those screws must be really short (unless they protrude through the top?) and tapped right on the edge into the hex shaped flange part of the element mount...

No worries. Definitely tapped into the flange. The screws wouldn't need to be to long, they're only holding on the enclosure. Looks like you're trying to do something a bit different though, enclosure and stand in one? You might want a bit of separation between the plastic enclosure and the HEX. The HEX is going to get pretty hot, the plastic might not take it.

Back