Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have an infection, so napisan is not going to help you with that. It will clean crud, but it will not STERILISE.
I would
1: Wash with napisan, ensuring the tap is pulled apart and washed thoroughly.
2: Sterilise with Sodium Hypochlorite, including the still pulled apart tap, o-ring, grommet, airlock. Make sure you take a chux or something to the thread in the fermenter too. Also sterlise anything that touches your brew, spoon etc. (edit - properly diluted to correct proportions, of course)
3: Rinse everything with boiled water until there is no more smell.
4: Sanitise with no rinse sanitiser.
5: Put a brew down with complete confidence, following my normal procedures.

You have an infection, so napisan is not going to help you with that. It will clean crud, but it will not STERILISE.
I would
1: Wash with napisan, ensuring the tap is pulled apart and washed thoroughly.
2: Sterilise with Sodium Hypochlorite, including the still pulled apart tap, o-ring, grommet, airlock. Make sure you take a chux or something to the thread in the fermenter too. Also sterlise anything that touches your brew, spoon etc. (edit - properly diluted to correct proportions, of course)
3: Rinse everything with boiled water until there is no more smell.
4: Sanitise with no rinse sanitiser.
5: Put a brew down with complete confidence, following my normal procedures.

what are you on about?

Proper sanitation, also known as "The basics".
Shame if you missed that class.

Hi RockyAu,

Is there any chance that maybe your thermometer is incorrect? Are you referring to the stick on thermometer? If it is wrong the brew may be a lot hotter than you think and this may be killing the yeast.

Cheers,
Stagwa

The thermometer is the stick on type so could maybe be incorrect i just went out today and bought another mix the lbs said has a better yeast with it also said i was silly throwing away the other brews cause they could of been savable even if it ment adding another yeast.

Hi RockyAu,

Is there any chance that maybe your thermometer is incorrect? Are you referring to the "stick on" thermometer? If it is wrong the brew may be a lot hotter than you think and this may be killing the yeast.

Cheers,
Stagwa
How hot is too hot for yeast?

Do yuou think it's likely the brew will have reached that temperature?

How hot is too hot for yeast?

Do yuou think it's likely the brew will have reached that temperature?

I don't know. Just offering something different from the 3 pages of "you have an infection" he may practice safe brewing by wearing a condom to reduce the chance of infection... ;)

Only read the first page. I would just go back to Big W and get some cans of Brigalow New and Brew Enhancer2. Use the sterilizer from the kit (it's great). Once you make one or 2 good batches, then try mixing it up a bit. What commercial beer do you like? I like Tooheys New and the Brigalow is VERY similar in taste. I just finishe 2 and a half cartons of it and it was only in the fermenter for 5 days and bottle for 2 weeks!!!! I am NO expert yet. I have only made 4 bottled batches and have another 5 fermenting, plus 3 more tonight when I get the fermenters. I am now trying new stuff, ie, more malt, different Brew Enhancers, bith 1 and 2 and just brewing sugar, more sugar in some. It's great fun but I am sure I am going to get some shocking beer. So like I said Kepp it simple, make that batch that worked, get your confidence up and THEN try new brews.

I have only made 4 bottled batches and have another 5 fermenting, plus 3 more tonight when I get the fermenters.

does this mean your going to have 8 fermenters? :eek: and you've only brewed 4 so far wow way to get into it
they talk about a slippery slope but f&*k :super:

Yes, I will have 8 batches fermenting by about 9pm tonight. This IS ADDICTIVE!!!!

Just the 25ltr ones. Yes I am looking into kegs. Washing bottles does tend to take up too much drinking time.

Hmmm, lemme see.
A quick calculation gives me 8X23litres of beer, discounting 2 litres for each in trub.
That's 184 litres, divide by 0.75 for bottles,
is 245 bottles and 1 stubbie.
You got enough?

Not yet but I am going to get about 100 tallies this arco. I have 5 cartons of stubbies and about 20 tallies so far. Hmmmmmmmmmm better get to drinking hey!!!!

What size batches are you brewing, it probably wont be as many as I thought.

If get desperate BigW, Kmart Etc Sell Boxs Of 15 PET bottles $12 a box 30 of them does 23 liters if not it's a great excuse to drink more

Yes, I will have 8 batches fermenting by about 9pm tonight. This IS ADDICTIVE!!!!

LOL, Im impressed. Youve been brewing for about three weeks? A sterling effort I must say, to have that many on the go at once. You should probably look into buying bulk DME soon, to save some money, hop your own beers and use 60l fermenters.

Have you even drank any of your brews yet?

Latest posts

Back