help with tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitton-Jo

Reaction score
Brewed up a tripel last week, tasting incredible and shaping up to be the best beer I've made. I came up short on OG due to efficiency and volume. Was planning to add some sugar now main fermentation is done (3787 no longer blowing the lid off fv). It has been chugging away for a week and seems stuck at 1.020 from 1.060. I have a fresh pack of the same yeast. Should I boil up some sugar or get some Candi syrup to add now?

1.060 is very low for a Triple, so you might as well go ahead and add some dextrose to the fermenter. Crank the temperature up while you’re at it (24C) and hopefully the yeast have another crack at getting that FG down. You want to be around 1.010 FG.

In my experience, adding another pack of 3787 at this stage won’t help you.

I’m just learning my way around enzymes, but adding a small amount of Glucoamylase to the fermenter at this stage will kick things off. But I don’t have enough experience yet to tell you where it will finish. It might ferment right out to 1.000.

Many of the Belgian yeast are reputed to resist restarting once they stop. Don't know if yours will kick off again, but 3787 is a high alcohol tolerant yeast, and when I last used it in a Belgian Dark Strong, it fermented it right out with its limits.
Following Cloud Surfer's advice may work, worth a try, or add some Belgian Candy Syrup or plain sucrose or dextrose.
Otherwise, call it a Belgian Pale Ale, and enjoy as is!

Latest posts

Back