Help With Repice For Dsseldorf Altbier All Grain

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewster

Reaction score
Can someone please help me out, that has knowledge to do me an all grain recipe for dsseldorf altbier to suit 22 to 25 litres. I looked at a recipe on this forum but the recipe has wheat malt and chocolate malt along with pilsner,light munich and vienna.
I looked at the recipe discussion to see what otherss had said, some said to use cara pils, carafa malts but I got lost on what amounts of grain to use. So I need help from the best.

I had a recipe given to me by a guy named brad who used to work at grumpys brewhaus but I have lost it. All I remember is that it had pilsner, munich, cara pils, carafa malts in it along with Hallertuer and tettnang hops.

Kind regards
chris

Here is the recipe used for the AMB challenge a few months ago. The mash schedule was left open but I went with a 90 min mash at 63C I think and it came out pretty good. Actually, all the beers made for the challenge were good so you should be pretty right with this recipe.

55% Munich I
40% Pilsner
3% Melanoidin
2% Carafa Special III

Spalt at 60 mins to 50 IBU

OG 1.053

Yeast = Wyeast 1007 (german ale)

Can someone please help me out, that has knowledge to do me an all grain recipe for dsseldorf altbier to suit 22 to 25 litres. I looked at a recipe on this forum but the recipe has wheat malt and chocolate malt along with pilsner,light munich and vienna.
I looked at the recipe discussion to see what otherss had said, some said to use cara pils, carafa malts but I got lost on what amounts of grain to use. So I need help from the best.

I had a recipe given to me by a guy named brad who used to work at grumpys brewhaus but I have lost it. All I remember is that it had pilsner, munich, cara pils, carafa malts in it along with Hallertuer and tettnang hops.

Kind regards
chris
In the recipe DB you'll find Batz's Altbier and one by Ross. Probably some others too but I've tasted both of these so can recommend them.
Actually as I type I realise that I'm not sure if these were north german or Dusseldorf so you'll have to see...

I have an ALT fermenting as we speak to take to the next case swap

49% Pilsner
25% Munich 1
25% Munich 11
1% Carafa 111

Bittered with Spalt hops to 35IBU ( 60 & 20 minutes)

Mashed at 64 - 65c

WLP029

Rook

Try this, it has won heaps of ribbons

25L
80%
42IBU

Munich 1 3.30kg
Galaxy 1.80kg
Black malt 0.14kg

Pacific Hallertau 5.5% 58g 60min
Hallertau Aroma 6% 6g 10min
Hallertau Aroma 6% 6g 0 min

Mash 63-64C
1007 yeast

ferment cool 14 -15C

Hope this helps

try and get hold of the "Classic beer style series " by Horst Dornbusch,on alt.A great read with some excellent recipes

Back