Help! With Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John,
This is a post I put on Grumpys the other night in answer to a similar question,

The method I use is as follows;
I use PSI as I am from the "old school".

1. Refrigerate keg with beer inside - COLDER THE BETTER.

2. Apply pressure from co2 reg, I usually go somewhere between 15 and 20 psi and burp the keg with the pressure relief valve. This pressure could be higher if your fridge does not get really cold or you have long or restricted serving lines. For example, my son in law with the same set up as mine gets his best result gassing at a pressure between 20 and 25 psi. This is more than likely due to my fridge being a bit colder than his.

3. Turn the keg on its side and roll the keg backwards and forwards until you can not hear or feel any more CO2 going into the keg. I do this by rolling the keg on a bar stool close to the fridge door.

4.Remove the ball lock fitting from the "in" post of the keg, stand the keg upright and vent the pressure relief valve to let the pressure out of the keg. ( This is important )

5.Put the keg into the fridge and fit both the "in" and the "out" lines and serve your beer.
( Don't touch the pressure on the guage )

This whole procedure with an 18 litre keg usually takes about 15 minutes.

Each system is slightly different and you need to get the feel for your system.

The main variables from each system are usually the temperature of the fridge and the beer in the keg at gassing and the size and length of the beer line from the keg to the beer tap.

THE IDEA OF A BALANCED SYSTEM IS TO HAVE THE SERVING PRESSURE EQUAL TO THE CARBONATION PRESSURE THAT EXISTS INSIDE THE KEG.

You may find that if you leave the keg sit under pressure during periods when you are not drinking or serving, then the keg may gain a little extra carbonation.

If this occurrs you can let a bit of pressure from the pressure relief valve or just turn the pressure off to the keg and continue serving until it balances again.

I try to turn the pressure off if I am not using or serving and this helps to prevent the beer over-carbonating and also stops you losing all the CO2 if you have a leak.

If you use the above method and you find that the beer is either under or over carbonated for your liking, just adjust the initial gassing pressure accordingly to achieve the desired result.

As I said, each system varies and it is only with trial and error that you will get it to your requirements.

I hoped this has helped you to gas and enjoy your first draught home brew.

Cheers.
B B B.

To follow on;
John I assume that you are working the beer tap correctly and that you are tilting the glass etc as you serve and if so the info below may help as well.

I made some major improvement to my system by changing the beer tap line to 3.2mm ID.
By doing this it means that you can serve at a higher pressure to compensate for the correct carbonation in lagers and light ales and you dont have to have many metres of line to compensate for the pressure in the keg.
My serving line would only be 4 to 5 feet long.
What I found with the 5mm line that was originally supplied with my first keg that it constantly got gas build up in the line and the only way to compensate for this was to turn the pressure up. Most people try to turn the pressure down when they have trouble and it will not fix the problem.
Unfortunately when you turn the pressure up with a 5mm line that is not long enough to balance the system then you can't serve properly because the beer comes out too fast.

Now the next thing I am going to say may cause some posts of dissagreement but this is what I have found and it works for me, so here goes.

Shaking the keg for a number of times does not, unless you are absolutely lucky,
carbonate the keg at the serving pressure, but if you set the pressure on the regulator and then carbonate the keg the way I described above and that is carbonate and serve without changing the regulator then the carbonation must equal the serving pressure.

If you choose to try the above method you will note that when you start rolling the keg from side to side you can actually feel and hear the CO2 going into the keg and when all feeling and noise like bubbles stop then you have carbonated the beer to the pressure that you have chosen on the regulator.

If you try my method I would be inclined to start at say 18 PSI and see how it all goes. If you still have problem with foaming after the first glass then you need to pay attention to the line size or length of the beer line as it will not have enough restriction for serving correctly.

Beer will continue to absorb CO2 as it sits in the keg if you are not serving for a long period so note what I said earlier about turning the gas off when not in use.
Like wise if the beer is slightly under carbonated you can turn the pressure up by say two PSI and leave it overnight and the beer will absorb the extra CO2.
Small amounts are good!!

Each system needs to have the correct balance and I achieved a good result with mine by fitting that smaller beer line, I have seen others put a long 5 mm line in the fridge but metres of line in the fridge is a real pain particularly once you have more than one tap and keg.

Remember also that different beer styles have different levels of carbonation and with this method you can serve it how it should be served.

I feel the method I use is quick, easy and accurate and works well.

I hope this helps you John so if you try it let us know how it goes!

Cheers

Hoops the inline pressure compensators from WA are they from beertech? I have ordered the ultmiate beer fridge and am getting a flow restrictor with the set-up. sounds like the same thing. Cheers Glenn.

Damn that's a long post. Most appreciated Dicko.
I actually ended up ringing GMK last night, and trying a few things, and my system seems to like a really low serving pressure - around 8 PSI.
I'm still curious as to how such a low pressure won't cause my beer to go flat, as it means that the head pressure will only be 8 PSI as well.

Anyway, at least it's not foam, and thanks to everyone here i have lots of info and ideas to try.

JG,
One consideration is gauge accuracy.
In my factory I had air pressure gauges on different equipment and some gauges gave incorrect readings and a couple were miles out. If you followed the thermometer thread last week, you can see that we should not have great faith in what these meters tell us.

Glenn W said:
Hoops the inline pressure compensators from WA are they from beertech? I have ordered the ultmiate beer fridge and am getting a flow restrictor with the set-up. sounds like the same thing. Cheers Glenn.
Glenn

yes they are from beertech. I didn't get them on friday so they should get here tonight so I will have to test them out extensively ;)
Since you bought a fridge I'm guessing you're in Perth.

Hoops

Hoops Iam in Adelaide and my fridge should be delivered any day. Are the in line pressure compensators the same as the flow restrictors? you need an allen key to adjust the flow. the people at beertech have got good products and great advice. Cheers Glenn

Glenn
yeah they are the flow restrictors. Same ones as Asher who posted some pics.
I spoke to Steve and he was great however Nicki sent me the items and added $10 onto the postage! Not happy <_<
I would have thought the shipping costs for a fridge would be huge to go to Adelaide?
Hoops

Hoops. The freight costs to Adelaide was quite good about 10% of the price of the fridge for nearly 3000 KLM.

One thing that has not been mentioned here yet with force carbonating with the rocking method is, i find it works best with the keg almost full. The more room left in it then i find i get problems with bubbles in the line and problems but if i fill it up to the top then pour half a pint then rock i always get a great carbonation with no problems at all. But if theres is more than half a pint of space left in the keg i run into problems.
Another problem with this method is sometimes i have noticed a harshness too some beers due to carbonic acid forming when the co2 mixes with the liquid. This goes away after a day so not a big problem but it is best if you want to serve the whole keg up at a gathering to get the fizz into it a few days earlier to make sure everything is as it should be.

Just adding a couple of things i have found out with my system.
Jayse

I may have finally got the keg system going ok.

When i pour the first beer, it keeps coming out as foam out of the tap. If i stop pouring to 10 sec, and start again, it comes out nicely.

So i pour 1cm or so of foam, stop, wait 10 sec, and start pouring agin and it works fine... strange.
I wonder if it's the tap?h

Latest posts

Back