Help with American wheat ale recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elderfi

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm hoping to put this brew down next weekend:

https://beerandbrewing.com/hazy-train-american-wheat-ale-recipe/
MALT/GRAIN BILL
5 lb (2.27 kg) German Pilsner
4 lb (1.8 kg) Malted Wheat
1.2 lb (544 g) Vienna
0.375 lb (170 g) Acidulated Malt

HOPS & ADDITIONS SCHEDULE
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at 30 minutes
0.5 oz (14 g) orange peel at 10 minutes
1 oz (28 g) Centennial at 0 minutes

YEAST
American Ale II

However, I am totally confused by the directions:

Dough-in with 8 quarts (7.57 liters) of 138°F (59°C) water for a 125°F (52°C) protein rest for 20 minutes. Add 8 quarts (7.57 liters) of 176°F (80°C) water for a 148°F (64°C) saccharification rest for 60 minutes.

Boil for 75 minutes.

The recipe says the batch size is 19.9 litres, but the directions only quote water volumes of around 15 litres, and the boil will likely bring that down to 10ish litres! I'm brewing with GUTEN 40L system, so I was wondering how I would use my GUTEN to achieve what the directions are saying / a 20L batch size?!

My approach to brewing with the GUTEN to date has been to do the following (for a 5-5.5kg grain bill):

1. Fill to the 20 litre mark and bring to temp
  2. Mash
  3. Top up with sparge water to around the 26 litre mark
  4. Boil (to date this has been a 60 minute boil)
As you can probably tell, maybe I am biting off more than I can chew with this recipe! But would love to know the following:

• Am I running any risk of a bad beer by following steps 1-4 above.
  • If so, could someone please help me translate the recipes directions into something more GUTEN friendly / in line with steps 1-4 :)

Note, steps 1-4 have resulted in wonderful beer to date!

Thanks

Adam

Just stick with what you know Adam, you have a Guten so just use a step mash program. You will need to vary your water volumes to get the final volume you need into the FV. So if you haven't already done it on a previous brew make sure you calculate your volumes backwards from the final volume in the FV. You won't make a bad beer, just a touch different to the link you attached. It reads as a nice beer, good luck.

I have a Guten 40l as well and do the same 4 steps above.

I had lots of trouble brewing a Hefeweizen until the guys in the forum helped me (Mark, Legless ect).

These mash times have helped the brewing considerably (but do not get me to explain what each of the steps do)

Mash in 45c 10 mins
Protein rest 55c 5 mins
Maltose rest 63c 35 min
Saccarification 72c 30 min
Mash out 78c 10 min

Plus - and this was the masterstroke - I reduced the heating element from 2500 watts to 1500 watts for all of this. This stopped the bottom of the Guten burning the sludge.

Mate completely ignore the instructions they have written, sounds like they use infusions to make temp changes which obviously you wont need to do. The only thing you can take from that is the rest temps- if you want.
I would personally just do a straight single temp of 66C and mash out. You could throw in a 5min protein rest at 55C if you want to develop more head but with a decent whack of wheat in there, it shouldn't be necessary.
The Orange peel and corriander additions are not typical of American wheat but rather Belgian Witbier. That said, go for it with the additions, they will add some interesting flavours.

Thanks all!

This went down on the weekend. SG was a little bit off, 1051 vs 1054 (as cited on the recipe). Tasted great going in, so lets see what happens in 2 weeks!

Latest posts

Back