Help Opening A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dropbear85

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My old man scored a 50L keg at the markets yesterday for $15. It has an A type coupler on it and buggered if I know how to open it.

So how is it done? I don't want to by a coupler or any special tool and the last thing I want is a hole in my head where I've been shot by a stainless steel tube.

I'm guessing you would push down the white plastic bit in the middle to release to pressure and then pop out the black plastic ring and hopefully all should reveal itself?

Just though I would check here before I do any damage.

Cheers

:icon_chickcheers:

Definitely want to depressurize first, and put it in its side first so you avoid a beer gusher in your face ;)

Sorry don't actually know the details

Try looking up "how to remove a keg spear"

Yeah I can only really find info on S and D type but I'll keep looking.

Cheer anyway.

Yeah thanks guys I just found a couple of threads which should help I'll give it a go tonight.

For some reason I have no luck with searching the forum but when i google i get links to post on this forum which i couldn't find earlier???

Thanks again

Yeah thanks guys I just found a couple of threads which should help I'll give it a go tonight.

For some reason I have no luck with searching the forum but when i google i get links to post on this forum which i couldn't find earlier???

Thanks again

Yes, when you search, use the google search.

Do you want to open it to re-use, or open it so you can convert it to a keggle or similar?

I found a big set of multi grips gets the collar, that the coupler sits on, off very easy. Thats after you have followed the other steps. Any you are right to be worried about the hole in the head scenario. there is a decent sized ss spring in there so point the keg away from you and anything you don't want getting hit.

Do you want to open it to re-use, or open it so you can convert it to a keggle or similar?
Well I will be making a keggle with one and I'm still on the hunt for another one for to convert to a still so before I go chopping it I'll wait till I have both and can see which one will be better suited to which.

Well I will be making a keggle with one and I'm still on the hunt for another one for to convert to a still so before I go chopping it I'll wait till I have both and can see which one will be better suited to which.

the one you have would be better suited for use as a still as the top screws off use another keg as a keggle [even if its the same type.
ill show you how to mod it if you like.

the one you have would be better suited for use as a still as the top screws off use another keg as a keggle [even if its the same type.
ill show you how to mod it if you like.

Yeah cheers mate I cracked it open last night and it wasn't as easy as I thought. took me about an hour because the threads I originally read didn't mention (or I missed) that after you get the gas out you have to slightly lift the center bit before turning which took me a bit to work out. After the spear droped I then struggled with getting the threaded bit off because it didn't have a little dimple on the top that I could wack with a hole punch. I tried oil filter rremovers but they didnt work so in the end I drilled a dimple of my own with a blunt drill piece (awesome sound) and got it off.

Back