Help Needed - Keg Fittings Jammed

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IainMcLean

Reaction score
Getting a new keg ready tonight for tomorrow's transfer from the fermenter I filled the keg with steriliser and got out the beer disconnect to clip on the spur on the keg in preparation for hooking it up to the tap tomorrow after work.

The damn disconnect has jammed on the post and won't come off!

Anyone got any clues / ideas / tricks?

I tried wrapping the disconnect in a towel and pulling, tapping it with a rubber mallet... it's still jammed... :(

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I somehow got a beer disconnect stuck on the gas post. Had to unscrew the post, and put it in a bench vice to get the disconnect off.

i've heard people have had to throw away disconnects/posts when they jammed the wrong one on the wrong one.

I have used lanolin spray on my fittings and got them off in the past

brute force and ignorance is how i got the one and only time i did it off.

Just got it here in the study to take into work tomorrow - looks like I'll once again using our R&D workshop to 'build a prototype' that will have something to do with brewing...

I'm hoping that if I lock the post in a vice, strap up the disconnect lock and tap the base of the disconnect with an oversized punch I might be able to force it free.... with the help of a touch of WD40 or ProLon

Getting a new keg ready tonight for tomorrow's transfer from the fermenter I filled the keg with steriliser and got out the beer disconnect to clip on the spur on the keg in preparation for hooking it up to the tap tomorrow after work.

The damn disconnect has jammed on the post and won't come off!

Anyone got any clues / ideas / tricks?

I tried wrapping the disconnect in a towel and pulling, tapping it with a rubber mallet... it's still jammed... :(

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

I have this happen a fair amount. I typically use a pair of vice grips. I put them under lip and pry. It usually pops up. Keep the vice grips close to the post so that it doesn't muck up your quick release.

I've done that a few times but been able to pull them off by hand. Easiest for me to do it with the post screwed in - Make sure you pull the release ring up then just brace and pull as hard as you can.

Iain ...

Persistance and not getting too pissed off that it is stuck ... otherwise it can be a more expensive exercise than first encountered ... ;-)

Trust me on that one :)

Matt

Pop the keg in the freezer (or fridge just get it as cold as poss). Once cold, quickly/ carefully heat the disconnect with a heatgun/ hairdryer and have another shot.
Cheers
Doug

Pop the keg in the freezer (or fridge just get it as cold as poss). Once cold, quickly/ carefully heat the disconnect with a heatgun/ hairdryer and have another shot.
Cheers
Doug

Thats a good idea - I'll put the post in the freezer @ work and hopefully the metal will contract enough for me to pop it easier... The baby's just woke up for his night snack - gives me some extra thinkin time.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
Knew i didn't have to get stressed when the AHB machine is at hand ;)

claw hammer and a spray of slippery dishwashing liquid did the trick for me

Got it off...

Stuck it in the freezer for a while then with the post hex-head locked in a vice & quick-release pulled back and taped open: bearings tapped to make sure they are free then worked it with a punch. A few big hits and the disconnect flew across the workshop... gave it a quick rub down to remove the minor scratches and we're good to go!

Back