Help Needed For Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideass

Reaction score
Hello beerfans,

hoping to get some advice on my new project.

I'm new to to the dark art of kegging, and would appreciate some advice.
Situation -

Trying to have beer on tap , on new deck. I plan to house kegs directly below tap (in the laundry), no more than 3 metres in beer line length away. Lines would be insulated and fed through brick cavity, and out through brickwork. Although the bbq is close by, this should be far enough away not to impact.

Aleady purchased -

2 x cornelius kegs, regulator, tap and 2 x 6kg co2 bottles (part of the deal)

This gear was bought 2nd hand.

I was thinking of converting an old chest freezer.

Will this setup be ok considering height difference between keg and tap?

What other gear will i need?

The tap will be fixed to outdoor kitchen bench, under the eave. Early morning sun exposure only. Will i be plauged with warm beer issues?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds great but warm beer may be a problem unless you drink like a fish.

You make have to incorporate some system of cooling at the tap. Something like a miracle box.... Then you would always have the problem of needing a supply of ice.

Other option is to go down the glycol system route like what you see in pubs. Not a cheap option though

I am not experienced in running beer lines along way from the keg but the simplest option is to have a font and tray coming out the top of a bar fridge that sits on your deck if space is avalible.

Mate you should check out don burke's setup, it is pretty sweet!

Cheers

well, its been 6 months in the making, and countless hours of negotiation with the mrs, but its all been worth it, now got beer in the kitchen just in time for xmas

andale kalgoorlie font with 4 floryte taps
View attachment 50807

undermounted drip tray with stone insert, plumbed out
View attachment 50811

chest freezer in the basement, 4 lines go upstairs and 2 taps through the collar
View attachment 50808

under the bonnet, glycol in and joins the beer lines to the font, got a little fan in there
View attachment 50809

glycol chiller keeping the font nice and frosty
View attachment 50810

I was thinking of converting an old chest freezer.
Definately the way to go - make sure you get one that will fit more kegs than you plan for when (not if) you want to get more kegs (even if they aren't on tap, its handy to have spare kegs cold gassed and ready to go)

Will this setup be ok considering height difference between keg and tap?

That height won't be a problem. Mine is very similar (taps in the kitchen, chest freezer in the garage below). I run 5mmID line, though if i was to do it again i'd prob go with 6mm lines.

What other gear will i need?

How are you planning to mount the tap? I'd highly recommend getting a flooded font. You don't have to run glycol through it, i just run cold water stored in the chest freezer with the kegs in a bit of 100mm PVC pipe which fits nicely between the kegs and pumped around with a cheap fish tank pump (its a closed system, so there is no problems with head height for the pump)

The tap will be fixed to outdoor kitchen bench, under the eave. Early morning sun exposure only. Will i be plauged with warm beer issues?
You'll have at most around half a glass of beer in the lines outside the freezer. If you run a flooded font then the chilled lines for the font will keep the beer lines cool too (assuming you insulate them together).

Back