Help ! I've Got Exploding Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ando1712

Reaction score
I'd love some advice on exploding bottles. I've had 2 stubbies & a king brown explode from the one batch.
It's a tin of Coopers Pilsner with a kilo of liq malt & a little corn syrup. It fermented for 8 days at about 12min & 20 max degs. I didn't take a hydromter reading but it went into the bottle nicely with no fizz. It's been in the bottle for about 4 weeks.

I'd like to know will time make things worse ? ie are they all going to explode & should I either drink or tip them now or will time heal everything.

I've been brewing for years & never had this problem.

Well did you bulk prime or did you individually prime? If you bulk primed and didn't stir your beer enough whilst bottling it could be only a few bottles... however if your priming method was sound you'll find all bottles will be the same.

So either chill and drink quickly like buggo said, or chill them all down, then open and recap (this will vent excess CO2 and hopefully remain carbonated enough).

Moral of the story: Whenever you assume it's finished fermenting, it probably isn't!

put on some safety glasses(eye protection),and some gloves and open one warm.if it gushes out like champange and has an acidic/vinegary quality you may have an infection such as acetobacter.google it up.

I've cracked the caps before and re-sealed, not been a problem. If they're blowing up there's obviously more than enough sugar there to see them re-carbonate. Might want to leave them another 4wks from when you re-cap.

Yo man. i told you so.
swede aka matti or
viceversa

Wher do ya leave?
will al comer over na drink it lol :lol:

I'd love some advice on exploding bottles. I've had 2 stubbies & a king brown explode from the one batch.
It's a tin of Coopers Pilsner with a kilo of liq malt & a little corn syrup. It fermented for 8 days at about 12min & 20 max degs. I didn't take a hydromter reading but it went into the bottle nicely with no fizz. It's been in the bottle for about 4 weeks.

I'd like to know will time make things worse ? ie are they all going to explode & should I either drink or tip them now or will time heal everything.

I've been brewing for years & never had this problem.

hi, have you thought of using plastic pet bottles, e.g. soft drink bottles. or emptying into a keg.

cheers, alan

Back