Help Identify off flavor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tasted a hydro sample of a 150 lashes type beer 2 days ago that read 1012 at 7 days in using us05 at 19 , it had a little similar taste, did stand out to me, I ramped up to 21 to finish off which I normally do, and tonight at day 9 it's at 1010 and tastes clean as, standard mangrove jacks stainless ambient pressure fermenter.
You did it with us05 , my latest was with us05, could be a yeast issue, I've found if I don't leave us05 for 10 plus days then it's got a few flavour issues. I usually leave it 12-14 before cc.
Don't pull beer off too early. Let the yeast clean up for a few days before cc. Unless you've fucjed up a process somewhere before...
I'll be cc this batch in 1-2 days time , then dry hop it 4 days with my usual hops flavours I like .
Early pull, can cause flavour issues.
Now I pressure ferment some of my beers as well, I do find the beers are quicker and taste cleaner even when doing hydro samples .plus the carbonation is nicer with smaller co2 bubbles.

Just my observations / tastes with my brews.....

Cheers

I would say find an experienced brewer or better a certified judge to taste your beer. I think diagnosing of flavors over the net is like trying to thread a needle in welding gloves

Coincidentally, this was the most recent post in the thread above this one:

Lyrebird_Cycles, on 28 Jan 2017 - 12:05 AM, said:

*snip*

* 4-vinyl phenol (formed from p coumarate by POF+ yeasts) smells like old sandshoes to me. Evidently others find it smells like wax or lipstick.

*snip*

Latest posts

Back