Help! Faint Ring Stain In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanox

Reaction score
Hi!

I have cleaned out my fermenter after my 2nd batch.

I have used pink cleaner/santiser to clean the fermenter. I've used a chucks wipe to get rid of the scum ring that is left by the brew.
All the scum has come off but there's a faint colouring mark left by the half of the ring.

I've scrubbed with the Chux but it doesn't come off.

Should I worry about this stain? Should I buy some bleach to get rid of it or will it be fine?

thanks
Brendan

give it a soak in pbw or homebrand napisan and it should come sparkling clean

nah ...should be sweet.

I reckon it is like curry in a plastic container....stained for life.

G,day mate try "napisan" the unscented stuff! give it a good soak,,its worked for me :icon_cheers:

Cool, thanks for responses.

Just wondering if you think it would cause a problem for the beer. like whether it will contaminate the beer?

Never had a problem with my fermenters and secondary vessels(which were stained)but good ole "nappy san" fixed em,brand new lookin now.
Mate morale of the storey is you cant go wrong if your over the top with sanitation!!!!!!!!! :icon_chickcheers:
humulus

Good advice!
I'll go out an grab some now

THanks for your help! :super:

Sorry one more question.

Re: The bleach in napisan, is it fine to just rinse it out three times? Will this be enough?

Don't let it worry you. Couldn't tell you how many brews have been through my fermenters, they don't have a faint ring; just a stain from the 21 litre down mark. Just keep up with good sanitation practices and you will be fine.

Cheers
Gavo.

7 posts in and nobody has made a ring stain joke...
what has this world come to..!!?
Chris

i pinched this info from bribie g -

Yes let Napisan be your friend, if you are in a state that has ALDI, their "oxy" version is cheaper than Napisan and has the most Sodium Percarbonate. Put a cup full in the fermenter, fill with very hot water and leave for 24 hours. It will eat anything and may foam initially as the Sod Perc seeks out and zaps anything organic. Similarly take out the O ring and drop that in as well. Then hose it out thoroughly, remove tap or best bet - go to Bunnings and buy a few taps for $2 each and chuck the old one. I replace my taps a couple of times a year.

Sorry one more question.

Re: The bleach in napisan, is it fine to just rinse it out three times? Will this be enough?

theres no bleach in napisan - plenty of rinsing is good.
i usually do a final rinse with a full kettle of boiling water - Caution Needed -

i pinched this info from bribie g -

Yes let Napisan be your friend, if you are in a state that has ALDI, their "oxy" version is cheaper than Napisan and has the most Sodium Percarbonate. Put a cup full in the fermenter, fill with very hot water and leave for 24 hours. It will eat anything and may foam initially as the Sod Perc seeks out and zaps anything organic. Similarly take out the O ring and drop that in as well. Then hose it out thoroughly, remove tap or best bet - go to Bunnings and buy a few taps for $2 each and chuck the old one. I replace my taps a couple of times a year.

+1
never had any problems. all my gear goes in for a soak for a day. after that good sanitize practises.
:beer:

Just one note- when cleaning the fermenter, try to not use anything that can scratch the fermenter. You mentioned you scrubbed it with a chux- this can create small scratches that infections can hide in, since it's hard to sanitise scratches.

Cool, thanks heaps for the tip.
I used chucks cloth wipe. I think that's too soft to leave any scratch marks. well at least i hope so! :eek:

Back