Help - Didnt Plan My Time Well!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo1234

Reaction score
I have planned to make Argon's LFPA extract brew next weekend but some free time has just come up today so am hoping I can get to it today.

LFPA Extract

My issue is that I need to do a liquid yeast starter (Wyeast Labs #1056) but have not started this yet. (my first extract brew and first yeast starter)

Will I be able to do the starter this morning and do the boil this arvo and put the boil in the fermenter and into the ferment fridge over night and then pitch the starter tomorrow?

Will this increase the chance of infection in the wort and will the starter have enough time to do its job?

Or alternatively is there anything wrong with skipping the yeast starter for this brew and keep an eye on it and possibly just pitch another yeast down the track if fermenting stalls?

... Or do I open a 6 pack this arvo, kick back and do the brew as planned next weekend and prepare properly?

Personally I would do it this afternoon and pour the wort into the fermenter while still boiling hot. The steam will kill any nasties and you will be ok to pitch the yeast in the morning. Although this isn't the ideal method, I have done it numerous times without problems.

I have planned to make Argon's LFPA extract brew next weekend but some free time has just come up today so am hoping I can get to it today.

LFPA Extract

My issue is that I need to do a liquid yeast starter (Wyeast Labs #1056) but have not started this yet. (my first extract brew and first yeast starter)

Will I be able to do the starter this morning and do the boil this arvo and put the boil in the fermenter and into the ferment fridge over night and then pitch the starter tomorrow?

Will this increase the chance of infection in the wort and will the starter have enough time to do its job?

Or alternatively is there anything wrong with skipping the yeast starter for this brew and keep an eye on it and possibly just pitch another yeast down the track if fermenting stalls?

... Or do I open a 6 pack this arvo, kick back and do the brew as planned next weekend and prepare properly?

why dont you cool the pot in the sink using cold tap water and some ice, if you dont have a large boil volume it shouldnt take too long, you can top up with cool water to be ready for pitching today

what is your boil volume ?

how old is the yeast sample ? if its fresh you might be fine to pitch without a starter

why dont you cool the pot in the sink using cold tap water and some ice, if you dont have a large boil volume it shouldnt take too long, you can top up with cool water to be ready for pitching today

what is your boil volume ?

how old is the yeast sample ? if its fresh you might be fine to pitch without a starter

The recipe has the following extract and grain:

3kg LDME (80%)
0.5kg Wheat DME (13.33%)
0.25kg Carapils (6.67%)

I will be steeping the grain in 5 ltrs and then using this as the boil volume and adding 1.5kg of the LDME at the beginning of the boil and adding the rest as well as the WDME at the end of the boil.

I am using a Wyeast #1056 (new packet, not sample - manufactured 3 feb). The guy at CB suggested that I used a starter as the OG will be high and the yeast may struggle.

The recipe has the following extract and grain:

3kg LDME (80%)
0.5kg Wheat DME (13.33%)
0.25kg Carapils (6.67%)

I will be steeping the grain in 5 ltrs and then using this as the boil volume and adding 1.5kg of the LDME at the beginning of the boil and adding the rest as well as the WDME at the end of the boil.

I am using a Wyeast #1056 (new packet, not sample - manufactured 3 feb). The guy at CB suggested that I used a starter as the OG will be high and the yeast may struggle.

so your final kettle volume will be approx 6 or 7 litres which will cool in the sink in less than 60mins with some ice/frozen water bottles

although probably not ideal, with the ale yeast you are using i would not bother making a starter, smack it now, by the time you have finished this afternoon it would have swollen and be fine to pitch,

if it were older i'd say go the starter but a month is pretty fresh as far as i'm concerned,

you will be fine

so your final kettle volume will be approx 6 or 7 litres which will cool in the sink in less than 60mins with some ice/frozen water bottles

although probably not ideal, with the ale yeast you are using i would not bother making a starter, smack it now, by the time you have finished this afternoon it would have swollen and be fine to pitch,

if it were older i'd say go the starter but a month is pretty fresh as far as i'm concerned,

you will be fine

Sounds good... I'll throw caution to the wind and give it a go!..... Packet now smacked!

No need to make a starter with Wyeast packs that fresh, I'd say at a month old it'll be swelled up nice by tonight. If not, don't worry, you can still pitch the pack, it doesn't need to swell, the swelling is just to let you know it's viable, and give it a bit of a kick start from the nutrient pack inside

Latest posts

Back