Hello

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynical

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just made my first beer and it is "oK". How can i improve it. Tastes like VB but slightly worse.
thanks
c

What did you brew (recipe) and at what temperature, and how long has it been aged for? If we know that then I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction.

Hi again,
I followed the instructions with the can but added an extra bag of sugar just in case it didnt work. I kept it in my bedroom because i dindt want it to get cold. i bottled in some old longnecks. Could that be the problem?
c

Hi again,
I followed the instructions with the can but added an extra bag of sugar just in case it didnt work. I kept it in my bedroom because i dindt want it to get cold. i bottled in some old longnecks. Could that be the problem?
c
Can i use treacle instead of the stuff in the cans. seems bloody expensive
c

How much sugar in total? Is it table sugar?
If normal table sugar, drop it entirely.

I recommend using 500g of dextrose at most and supplement with other fermentables like malt extract. Dextrose adds alcohol but no flavour or body.

Treacle could be ok in part but again you want more malt in the mix.

hi. bout 2kg of table sugar do you think that is the problem. will look around for some decstrose. is malt extract like wheetbix
thanks
c

Can't be Speedie, he would be posting in non rhyming Haiku, with a silly font .

You_Must_Be_New_Here_Funny_Pics-s311x311-181833.jpg

wierd place
Mate, they're taking the piss. It's quite obvious that you are new to the hobby given the types of questions you are asking.

Go with the kits. They may seem 'as expensive as a carton of beer' except you are making nearly 2 and a half cartons of beer and, if you do it right and listen to some of the (serious) pointers from the more experienced users here, you can make stuff better than you can buy.

Getting started you want to start with a can of hopped malt extract such as the coopers cans. $20-30 depending on where and what you buy. You will require more fermentables to increase the alcohol so about 1kg of dextrose or similar brewing sugar will do the trick. This is how most people get started and is referred to as "Kit N Kilo" as you are using a can (or kit) and a kilo of sugar.

Ok dont use table sugar as said and dont use a simple sugar (like dextrose and sucrose as the only additive to a kit) $25 for 23lts or 30 long necks or 60 stubbies??? I think your well infront there infact for a K&K i doubt it be $25. It cost me about that to make a decent AG with 21lts but the beer is great! I must say.

Tips ferment at 18-20deg with ale yeast (or kit yeast) pack may say higher but ignore and if it says its true lager yeast you need to be pitching about 22g per 23lts and fermenting at 10-12 deg. I wouldnt buy the pre mix packs of fermentables use 50% dextrose 50% light dry malt extract. All depends on the recipe and what you want to create but its a start

thanks lodan seems expensive and almost as much as a carton of beer but will give it a try. what is with dr smurto and the cool brewers of adelaide. is there a homebrew upperclass?
c

Just a quick price comparison

A slab of VB or Carlton Draught is 9L of beer. Cost is approximately $35

The coopers recipe will make you about 23L of beer and will cost only $23.85
1.7kg Coopers Real Ale $12.95
1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 $4
500g Coopers Light Dry Malt $6.90

That's $3.90/L versus $1.05/L... that's a quarter of the price!!

Back