Hello from new sydney brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicktron

Reaction score
hey guys, im nick
just recently ive got into brewing, i bought a couple kits off ebay and gumtree with all the gear plus 220 grolsch bottles and one of the kits came with a Mangrove jacks classic blonde dry kit, the kit is a month and a half out of date but i brewed it up anyway using a kilo of dextrose and the fermenter is sitting at around 24-26 degrees in my laundry with a heat belt on and bubbling away nicely. does anyone think i will have any problems with the way this beer turns out? should i take the heat belt off?, i think i read some where that lager beer should be in the range 18-20 but it has already been fermenting at 24-26 for the past 2 days before i fund out.

any advice from you guys is much appreciated!
nick

Hi & Welcome

Whats the ambient room temp where the fermenter is?

Take the belt off..
26 deg. is way too hot ..
Approx. 20 deg for Ale
12 deg for Lager
Cheers
PJ

Out of date mix, 1kg dex, high temps........it ain't likely to end well.

Get yourself some fresh cans, Dry or Liquid Malt instead of dex, get the temps down as suggested previously, 12c for lagers, 18-20c for ales and get some good yeasts.
Read up here and ask questions, use the search function and learn all you can.
If you can't get temp down for lagers look at getting some S-189, works well at ale temps.

Hi Nick,

An out of date kit fermented at 26 deg doesn't sound promising, but don't let that discourage you. I haven't used that kit, but I'm guessing the yeast supplied is an ale yeast so ideally should be used at around 18-20 deg as PJ said. If the ambient temp in laundary isn't dropping too much below 18 through the day, naybe take the belt off and put it back on through the night when the temp drops. I wouldn't bother with lagers until you had good temp control, such as a fridge with an STC1000 temp controller, as temp needs to be more like 12-14 deg.

The only other tip I'd give for your next brew is see if there a homebrew supplies shop near you (not sure where in Sydney you are, but should be one not too far) and call in and get a better yeast and throw out the yeast that comes with the can. Yeast comes in either dry or liquid form, a popular dry one is called US05 and a lot of brewers use it. There's a shit fight going on in another thread at the moment about whether you should re-hydrate dry yeast or not, but for simplicity sake I'd just sprinkle the dry yeast over the top of the wort for the next brew or two. There are instructions on the packet if you wish to re-hydrate though.

Other than that, keep researching and asking questions on here.

Happy brewing!!!

breakbeer said:
Hi & Welcome

Whats the ambient room temp where the fermenter is?
hi thanks mate, ambient room temp in the laundry is 16 degrees celcius right now.

poppa joe said:
Take the belt off..
26 deg. is way too hot ..
Approx. 20 deg for Ale
12 deg for Lager
Cheers
PJ
ok so i took the belt off about an hour ago, the thermometer on the side is now reading 22-24 so its dropping a couple degrees. will keep my eyes

yum beer said:
Out of date mix, 1kg dex, high temps........it ain't likely to end well.

Get yourself some fresh cans, Dry or Liquid Malt instead of dex, get the temps down as suggested previously, 12c for lagers, 18-20c for ales and get some good yeasts.
Read up here and ask questions, use the search function and learn all you can.
If you can't get temp down for lagers look at getting some S-189, works well at ale temps.
hahaha im not too sure about it my self!, well the kit came free in the starter kit and i was just excited about getting started,if it turns out crap ill flog it off to my mates who drink VB. hey what do you mean by S-189,is it some kind of yeast? sorry im new to this hobby and still learning codes and abbreviations.
on it. :blink:

mosto said:
Hi Nick,

An out of date kit fermented at 26 deg doesn't sound promising, but don't let that discourage you. I haven't used that kit, but I'm guessing the yeast supplied is an ale yeast so ideally should be used at around 18-20 deg as PJ said. If the ambient temp in laundary isn't dropping too much below 18 through the day, naybe take the belt off and put it back on through the night when the temp drops. I wouldn't bother with lagers until you had good temp control, such as a fridge with an STC1000 temp controller, as temp needs to be more like 12-14 deg.

The only other tip I'd give for your next brew is see if there a homebrew supplies shop near you (not sure where in Sydney you are, but should be one not too far) and call in and get a better yeast and throw out the yeast that comes with the can. Yeast comes in either dry or liquid form, a popular dry one is called US05 and a lot of brewers use it. There's a shit fight going on in another thread at the moment about whether you should re-hydrate dry yeast or not, but for simplicity sake I'd just sprinkle the dry yeast over the top of the wort for the next brew or two. There are instructions on the packet if you wish to re-hydrate though.

Other than that, keep researching and asking questions on here.

Happy brewing!!!
hey mosto, im in padstow heights area and my local HBS is at "the Brew shop" in Peakhurst,they're a pretty friendly mob that runs the place. well this is my first brew ever so im kind of taking it as a learning curve and wont be discouraged if it turns out crap, ill just give it to my free loading mates who drink anything and say it tastes good, but for my next brew i really wanna nail it!, i love a good cerveza on a hot day so today i did some shopping at the HBS for my next batch and got the ingredients i need..,im following a recipe i found on www.georges-homebrewing.com for a lime corona and it consists of:

*1 x can of thomas coopers mexican cerveza
*1 x bag of brew booster number 2
*1 x 11.5g packet of safale US-05 yeast (which ive heard many good things about)
*10 grams of hersbrucker hop pellets ( which im going to steep into the mix)
* zest and juice of 1 lime

i will bottle condition this brew over spring underneath my house and (hopefully) enjoy it over summer.

any tips and advice is appreciated for this next batch.

thanks for all the input guys! :kooi:

Hi there Nick!

Welcome to the world of brewing. Hope all goes well with this, and future brews. As another local (Just south of you, over the river), I can't speak highly enough of The Brewshop. I've learned a ton of stuff from those guys. Mandy in particular should be able to get you off on the right foot. Maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

Cheers,
Hammo.

Thanks hammo,
I hope it all goes well, like I said if it don't turn out ill give it to my not so fussy mates...they like any free beer. And I'll concentrate on my cerveza that I'm gonna brew next. That's the one I really want to nail on the head:) cheers mate happy brewin!

Just a recap on the mangrove jack classic bonde dry lager, it's been bottled for one week, I bulk primed using 180grams of dex and I just cracked one open to test out and I'm happy to say its already got gas!!! One more week they will be perfect! It's quite drinkable but thanks to all your advice I now know what I have to do to make it better! Cheers guys!

Latest posts

Back