Hello from Hazelbrook NSW

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris.B

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now, and I must say that the enormous amount of information on here has been a huge help. As such, I have decided to join.

I am not entirely new to brewing, however I would still consider myself a novice. Some years ago as a University student, myself and a few friends, used to brew beers (mainly English ales) from cheap kits, and bags of cane sugar. We had the basics down, were careful with regard to cleaning and sanitisation, and we did used to turn out beer... pretty lousy beer... but it was beer! Back then it didn't matter too much that it wasn't great, as we were really only doing it (as students do) to get drunk on the cheap. :unsure:

Roll on ten years... I'm a little older, a little wiser, have a more refined palate for beer, and have been reintroduced to home brewing by a neighbour who is a keen brewer, who let me sample one of his fantastic all grain brews. This inspired me to give it another go. :)

This time around, I have decided to be a bit more scientific in my approach. I have been reading through some of the wealth of information available on line, and have proceeded with a bit more more care and attention to detail than I did in the past. I have decided to initially have another go at a few kit brews, and hopefully start learning more to eventually enable me to have a go at making beer from scratch.

I picked up a beginners brewing kit on ebay, which came with a Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager tin, a Copper Tun brewblend #15, a Pride of Ringwood hop teabag, and a packet of Saflager S-23 yeast.
My decision to choose the kit that I did, was based on the fact that I have read good things about the Morgans kits, coupled with the fact that the ideal temperature range for the Saflager yeast, exactly matches the current temperature range in the room I'm using for brewing...

It is sat downstairs fermenting away... Now just to wait and see how it turns out!

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris. Come off it, you chose the kit for its name.... But seriously, good luck with your return-to-brewing exploits. Hope the instructions with the kit were sufficient, though you probably filled in the blanks with a bit of experience. I had no such head-start and now have a good chuckle at how I went about my first batch, which i refer to as the "Burton Lambic".....

dagryll said:
Hi Chris. Come off it, you chose the kit for its name....
Yeah... It would be fair to say that the name contributed significantly to the decision making process!

The seller also provided some more comprehensive instructions than those on the tin, which was helpful. My plan is to start a second brew while this one is going. I have bought a Bunnings 30L fermenter, a can of Coopers Pale Ale and berw enhancer 2, some Nottingham ale yeast, and some Cascade hopps... Then the challenge will be storing all the filled long necks I end up with.

Latest posts

Back