Heffewizen Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finite

All Grain Gremlin
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a patial mash recipe for a:

Schfferhofer Hefeweizen?
or
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier?

Im not quite up to AG yet but is it possible to buy like a 3kg ESB bav wheat and add some corriander, orange peel or what ever to match the beer a bit? I prefer the beer to be flavour full btw. I cant stand watery wheat beers.

Also how hard would it be to duplicate a Gouden Carolus Classic (god i love that beer) without going AG?

P.S: I will try these in AG but all in good time.

i tell you what Finite, about 2 years ago i did the ESB 3kg Bavarian Wheat, with the corriander and peel.. in my wisdom trying to copy Hoegaarden! Of course it came out nowhere near it.
BUT
the good thing for you is, that on a side by side tasting with several peoples.. it turned out VERY similar to Schofferhofer. I wish i still had some..!

Finite said:
Does anyone know of a patial mash recipe for a:

Schfferhofer Hefeweizen?
or

Im not quite up to AG yet but is it possible to buy like a 3kg ESB bav wheat and add some corriander, orange peel or what ever to match the beer a bit? I prefer the beer to be flavour full btw. I cant stand watery wheat beers.

Also how hard would it be to duplicate a Gouden Carolus Classic (god i love that beer) without going AG?

P.S: I will try these in AG but all in good time.
[post="105865"][/post]​

do a search for thedrunkarab's thread on gouden carolus for some ideas. you could easily do something similar with extract - if you do a minimash of some melanoidin, pale malt and some cara-aroma and cara-munich to add malt body. caramelise some sugar and use some challenger and hersbrucker and orange peel and coriander and some other mysterious spice of your choosing and a belgian yeast of your choosing and you will be laffing.

it is extremely hard to "clone" wheat beers with extract. you can make a nice hefe but you can't "clone" them - cause wheat beers are so simple recipe-wise, so much depends on factors of grain and mashing and fermentation. (btw don't be tempted to culture up the yeast out of weihenstephan or schfferhofer, they're both lager strains iirc.) you can get the weihenstephan yeast WLP300 which is a start.

i think you would be drawn and quartered under german law if you added orange peel to beer.

Schfferhofer Hefeweizen?
or

neither of these beers have coriander or orange peel do they?
do you want a clovey german wheat beer or a phenolic belgian wheat beer?

tangent said:
Schfferhofer Hefeweizen?
or

[post="105883"][/post]​

a phenolic belgian wheat beer probably would be better if it would have more flavour? but the Schfferhofer and Weihenstephaner are German so really anything like those two, im not asking for a clone just something flavour full that will hit the spot or get close.

tangent said:
Schfferhofer Hefeweizen?
or

[post="105883"][/post]​

i wouldnt think so, although i wasnt trying to copy these beers... but back then i was naive to think i could copy something like hoegaarden from a tub.
That said..... i still stand by my word that the resulting brew ended up tasting like schofferhofer.. :eek: B)

the trick with any of these wheat beers is obviously wheat for the sourish refreshing taste and yeast.
Definitely liquid yeasts (Belgian Wit or German equivalent) or for dried yeast definitely the K-97. That's where the subtle flavour and majority of smell comes from.
Back when i was extract brewing i made some pretty damn good Wits, but it all hinged on the yeast.

I used K-97 as it came with the kit i believe.... i dont think it gave to many weizen characteristics, but i believe it is a german ale yeast and not a wheat yeast as such.
So maybe go for the liquid strains Finite.

wheat beer is generally an ale (top fermented), but i get your point, although i'm sure my last packet of K97 was labeled Safwheat, so i'm thinking there's some kind of wheat connection there.
i didn't think K-97 is packaged with tins but i could be mistaken

for the belgian alternative, too right, definitely go the liquid yeasts.

tangent said:
wheat beer is generally an ale (top fermented), but i get your point, although i'm sure my last packet of K97 was labeled Safwheat, so i'm thinking there's some kind of wheat connection there.
i didn't think K-97 is packaged with tins but i could be mistaken

for the belgian alternative, too right, definitely go the liquid yeasts.
[post="105912"][/post]​

K-97 comes with the ESB kits (3kg and fresh worts) -you also get to choose which yeast, so if I get an esb kit, I'll grab a us56 or lager yeast and use a liquid for the one I buy ;) . K97 doesnt taste anything like a wheat yeast at all - good for an american dry wheat maybe, but not a hefe or belgian.

With the belgian, you can always get your yeast from a bottle of hoegaarden - as long as you are patient (often takes 2 days to get going in the bottle), its an easy source of a great belgian wheat yeast.

cheers

All of this info is courtesy of a chat with Asher 'The wit wizzard' at Vlads Brewday.

The 30degree rule for wheat beers ' The sum of the fermenting temperature and the pitching/starting temperature should equal 30degrees' ie: If target Fermentation temp is 20 degrees then cool wort to 10degrees and pitch starter then gradually raise to 20degrees.

This apparently causes lag phase in cell division which imparts wheat flavours(Phenolics I believe).

Also do a search regarding wheat fermentation.I remember a post stating that if you ferment 1-2deg. lower than the optimum temp for yeast strain causes phenol(Clove flavour) production and 1-2 deg. higher causes ester production(Banana Flavours).

I hope this helps.
NOTE: All this is extracted from my iffy memory so I would investigate further.......

aaah
ok
like the underpitching with belgian yeasts!
nice one CM :D

Is there anything stoping me from grabbing 2 bottles of Schfferhofer hefe and cultivating my own yeast?

I believe they are bottle conditioned with Lager yeasts. I'd buy Wyeast Wiehenstephaner yeast.

Finite said:
Is there anything stoping me from grabbing 2 bottles of Schfferhofer hefe and cultivating my own yeast?
[post="105942"][/post]​

i'm not sure but i think somebody said something about that earlier in this thread...

best one to culture out of in my experience is JS colonial wheat, which is the original weihenstephan strain. (= whitelabs WLP300) although not sure they make this anymore?

the only german hefe strains that work from the bottle are maisels and schneider. havent seen maisels for a while, and schneider yeast produces a strange baked apple/bread flavour with not a lot of the classic banana'n'clove.

if i were you i'd buy the yeast from wyeast or whitelabs. money spent on fresh yeast is never money wasted! you get more flavour from fresh, healthy yeast than you will from old, scungy stuff from the bottom of bottles that have been sitting in the shop for 18 months.

Latest posts

Back