Hefe Weizen flavour

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The zoigl brewing process takes one back a few hundred years. I think that we were privileged to see how it is made and how it brings small communities together. A wonderful experience, far away from any tourists.

Yeah definitely. The history here is incredible.
Last weekend I was at a meeting from the Bavarian Braumeister Association. Got a guided tour through the several hundred year old catacombs in the city of Wasserburg where they used to ferment and lager beers through the summer, by cutting out tonnes of ice from the river in winter and carting it into the catacombs.
Several of the old Braumeisters worked in those very catacombs/breweries 50-60 years ago. I must say, I love brewing, but I'm glad I wasn't a brewer back then. That was horrendously hard and dangerous work.
But an incredible experience. I can highly recommend a visit... although, they don't offer tours in English (yet). :!

We rode our bikes through Forcheim ( on our way from Nuremburg to Bamberg along the canal) and had a couple of wonderful days there. I was absolutely amazed at the number of beer gardens on the hill overlooking the town. And yes, the old lagering caves were still being used on a daily basis. It's well worth a visit.
The hop museums (alas in German) at Tetnang and Hallertau are show pieces for tourists as well. If you brew you can work out what they are about. Besides my wife is my google native translater.

Latest posts

Back