Heather Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, I wouldn't have it just floating around in the kettle, if it gets in your screen/falsie or whatever it could be a PITA. I used a hop sock.

In the fermenter I threw it in loose - floated the whole time. Also used a secondary with a bit of gelatine to make sure it was clean but none got in there at all, it floated while draining. But the yeast etc fell out so it got a good few days sitting on the top.

I think it's going to be a great addition once we get it down.....

so the consensus appears to be 50-100g range, best used as a late (10 min or less) addition? Anyone tried it at 60min? Does Heather impart any bittering qualities?

The Fraoch recipe uses Sweet Myrtle for antibacterial/bittering instead of hops.
I had a Fraoch recipe somewhere. My uncle in Barrhead, Scotland was talking about possibly sending Myrtle over with some heather flowers when I visited over xmas as I'd like to give it a try also.

Did you end up digging this recipe up Iain? I didnt get a response from any of the breweries I contacted <_<

Planning on doing a batch of the HA in a few weeks and will resort to the recipe in the OP if all else fails.

Yob

Did you end up digging this recipe up Iain? I didnt get a response from any of the breweries I contacted <_<

Planning on doing a batch of the HA in a few weeks and will resort to the recipe in the OP if all else fails.

Yob

Nope.
Sorry mate.
Said uncle left wife, sold house & yacht and is currently captain of a boat somewhere in the middle east...

I've been trying to find sweet myrtle myself with no luck, have everything else from the herb suppliers listed on this thread....

how is this beer tasting logman??? Im keen to put some of my heather in a brew this week and chasing some feedback on how much to add...200g or 30g....????
This beer is tasting like cats piss <_< . Got a vinegar taste out of it somehow. Maybe a little hasty trying to get this together with an already made cube....

I'll try 50g for 5 mins next time.

Tasted yours recently Grantw?

This beer is tasting like cats piss <_< . Got a vinegar taste out of it somehow. Maybe a little hasty trying to get this together with an already made cube....

What was the full recipe? Im planning to do mine on the weekend..

:icon_cheers:

"Cat piss" is not promising...

My 70/- (or 80/-, not sure yet) will be next cab off the rank. I just got Brewing Classic Styles and Radical Brewing so am thinking of using Jamil's 70/-(80/-) as the base and Mosher's Heather Ale's flame-out addition (sans meadowsweet). Hopefully not playing it too conservatively there.

Mine's in the keg - has some roasted grains flavour that is not quite in balance.

The brew is bitter but in balance there (I used 80g) - its a very neutral bitterness...

What was the full recipe? Im planning to do mine on the weekend..

:icon_cheers:
90 min boil

4 kg TFMO
.25 kg Pale Choc
.2 kg Med Crystal
500ml Amber Candi Sugar

45g Golding EK 60 min
45g Fuggles 60 min
12g Golding EK 15 min
8g Fuggles 15 min

I used 150g in the boil for 10 mins, then 50g 'dry heather' @ day 4. Just going for 50g for 5 mins next time, no dry heather....

Hopefully not playing it too conservatively there.
Conservative might be the preferable route here :D . I guess then you can evaluate and still enjoy your Scottish Ale in the meantime - as opposed to the dreaded visit to the drain....

Cheers Lads..

The more I read of the experiences here the more Im inclined to do a 10lt batch to begin with :unsure:

Every vinegar beer I've had was the same type of bacterial infection. I'd hazard a guess at an infection over the heather tasting like vinegar.
But if u haven't had a froach before I'd go easy on the additions. If worst comes to worst either drink it as ur 4the pint of the night or dry hop the bejesus out of it with fuggles or EKG

Every vinegar beer I've had was the same type of bacterial infection. I'd hazard a guess at an infection over the heather tasting like vinegar.
I think you're right cm2, it's not the Heather. I had a cube made up already and in my haste to get a brew together I separated 5 litres, boiled that and added to cooled wort and fermented. Perhaps during this process a problem arose - never tasted good at any stage. It's a total non-drinker, not going to get that from a bit of Heather...

Luckily I've got plenty of Stout to keep me going atm :chug:

ok my version of heather ale is being brewed tomorrow. based on Mosher's RAdical Brewing and subbed some grains for what i havbe on hand

3.6kg marris otter
1.4kg melanoidan (instead of amber malt)
60g buscuit malt (instead of brown malt)
60g caraamber (instead of brown malt)
0.45kg orange blossum honey in secondary
35g saaz @ 60
70g heather @ 0
1 drop of eucalyptus oil @ 0

buscuit and caraamber is subbing for brown malt. melanoidian instead of amber.
eucalyptus oil is because i dont have bog myrtle which apparently has a eucalyptus aroma. i figure 1 drop should suffice.
I dont have medowsweet and cant find a substitute, but apparently is gives bitterness and sweetness. I recon I can forgo that.

I probably do a double batch just for fun.

thoughts???

Latest posts

Back