Heather Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recon there is something great about heather. Mysterious, pleasant etc. great interesting flavour for cooler months. More experimentation needed :)
Any idea on how long it would be expected to last cm2? Can it be frozen and then left out before use next year? I've still got around 1kg left and would like to use some next year if possible....

Any idea on how long it would be expected to last cm2? Can it be frozen and then left out before use next year? I've still got around 1kg left and would like to use some next year if possible....
no idea. so long as its kept from away from oxidising it should be fine (ie vac sealed or something). I guess you can freeze it like any other flower.

@ iamozziyob
trying yours now. what was your recipe?

I get hints of heather but the beer is fairly dominated by roast barley. I also get choc which could just be the roast. I probably wouldnt pick this as being a heather ale if you hadnt told me. however there are some similar flavours in there that I can identiy as being heather. we realy need to get a commerical version to test against.

let me know how you think mine compares to yours.

I made one a few months back that is just starting to taste ok...Basically a Better Red than Dead with 80gm Heather @5 min from memory (will have to check my notes)..first glass at 3 weeks in bottle was too heathery (is that a word :huh: ...now at 5 weeks it is tasting quite mellow...although my wife just took a sip and asked if I could finish hers!! :rolleyes:

@ iamozziyob
trying yours now. what was your recipe?

I get hints of heather but the beer is fairly dominated by roast barley. I also get choc which could just be the roast. I probably wouldnt pick this as being a heather ale if you hadnt told me. however there are some similar flavours in there that I can identiy as being heather. we realy need to get a commerical version to test against.

let me know how you think mine compares to yours.

Yeah I agree on mine being a bit dark.. I blame AHB being down on the day and muggins here not having printed off the recipe so I just winged it on the day..

From Memory..

Marris Otter Malt 4kg
JW Wheat 1 kg :unsure:
Choc Malt .4 kg :unsure: (too much whatever the amount was)
Little Bit of both EKG and Fuggles
'snip' I did 2 x 50g additions, one at 40 mins with some fuggles and 50g at 20 mins with some goldings
No Dry Hop

1728 no starter.. (Didnt have the stirplate at that point)

I got stuck into yours Yesterday as well, quite sweet up front I thought, has got that something there Im associating with HA brews now but hard to put the finger on.. Quite malty and warming... what was the ABV on that?

I really want to try another one and may get to do it on the Weekend... Im planning on doing first runnings through 100g of Heather Flowers and maybe another 100g late in the boil.

damn.. think Im out of EKG and Fuggles <_<

Yob

The Geelong Highland Gathering Association is still pondering a Scottish Ale Competition to be held at the Gathering, possibly March 2013. Currently the AABC guidelines only allow for three styles.

This thread indicates there might be enough interest in having a non AABC style for Heather Ale at the event?

Hell yeah id be keen... Will have a few versions by then i should think.

..as long as you arent entering one we might even have a shot :p

I think it'd ne great to have this type of beer promoted more.

Yob

The second batch of Heather ale is going down very nicely just now. There is a very distinct floral/earthy flavour and aroma to it which balances nicely to the malts but as CM2 said, is slightly mysterious. This one had 90g of heather flowers and I think is much better than the first so think I wkill settle on that amount for future batches.

Thx to yob for brining FJ post to my attention.

Yup im in. I've got some of this batch left as well as a cube so I can ferment and enter best one. I'll definitely dry heather less than batch 1. I think 100g was too much. Although it's really coming good now. It does seen to like some ageing.

Take 2 today

4kg Marris Otter
1.5kg Wheat Malt
.3kg Carapils
.25kg Caramalt
.1kg Choc

100g Heather @ 60
10g Northern Brewer @ 40
100g Heather @ 10
10g Fuggles @ 10
10g Fuggles @ 5
10g EKG @ 5
10g EKG @ 0

Step Mashed

63/20, 65/20, 68/10, 72/10, 77,10

I think 100g was too much.

How did you do this CM2? Given that these flowers are about as submersible as a hot air baloon!

I have my Heather Ale Mark II in Fermenting now and would be keen to give it a kick toward the end..

I guess I could go a stocking with a few knives etc? just wondering what you used?

Yob

How did you do this CM2? Given that these flowers are about as submersible as a hot air baloon!

I have my Heather Ale Mark II in Fermenting now and would be keen to give it a kick toward the end..

I guess I could go a stocking with a few knives etc? just wondering what you used?

Yob
I put thr heather in a very large kitchen sieve on top.of a big pot and ran tthe beer through the flowers and just keep recyleing it arounf a few times. Now that will probably set the aeration police off on an argumebt but i didnt get any oxidisation in taste that i could detect.

Altrrnatively, yeah, big arse stocking loaded with stainless to weight it down. Odd stir around to make sure the oils etc are mixing.

Although given the sheer size of 100g of heather u might be better ogf having a few stickings to maximise surface area and efficiency.

The heather Ale I have fermenting (or not) is giving me some serious grief. Cannot get it to drop much below 1020 <_< (Windsor Yeast)

Tried the usual, temps, gentle stir, add some hops... bloody thing wont budge. Samples taste a little sweet, not overly but is there..

I was hoping to bottle it, now I dont know if I should Keg it or ditch it..

Bugger

The heather Ale I have fermenting (or not) is giving me some serious grief. Cannot get it to drop much below 1020 <_< (Windsor Yeast)

Tried the usual, temps, gentle stir, add some hops... bloody thing wont budge. Samples taste a little sweet, not overly but is there..

I was hoping to bottle it, now I dont know if I should Keg it or ditch it..

Bugger
Dont ditch it!
Either bottle it with a littke less priming sugar and maybe a little more yeast
Keg it and drink as is
Leave in fermentor and throw more yeast at it.

Then again im not sure of what ur target FG was

Then again im not sure of what ur target FG was

FG should have been about 1014 so is a fair bit above, brews with a similar mash schedule are all finishing ~1012 or there abouts.

Likely I will keg it, I dont want to go through all the trouble of bottling a suspect brew. At least if it's shite in the keg Ive only got to clean 1 vessel!!

I was hoping to have a few different HA's bottled in case we get a look in at that comp FJ mentioned above.

Oh well, will have to brew another :D what a terrible thing to have happen to a bloke.

:icon_cheers:

Sorry to come in to this conversation late, but just thought I would weigh in with a little info. A few years back I lived in the North of England and had the good fortune to come across the guys from the brewery that make Fraoch. I bought a mixed 4 pack from them which included a bottle of the aforementioned heather ale. It is now a few years back since I tasted it, (with a truck load of other beers in the meantime) so I can't really remember what it was like. But from memory I did think that I definitely wanted to try making some if I could when I returned home to Oz. Go to the website www.heatherale.co.uk for more info.

http://www.williamsbrosbrew.com/

DSC_0312.jpg

welcome to the forum..

Their website doesnt really give much away as far as recipe goes..

where abouts are you in Oz? Ive still got a few packets of the Heather flowers that CM2 obtained.

Yob

welcome to the forum..

Their website doesnt really give much away as far as recipe goes..

where abouts are you in Oz? Ive still got a few packets of the Heather flowers that CM2 obtained.

Yob

Hey Yob,
Cheers mate. The bottle doesn't give away any secrets either. I've included a pic of the back of the bottle this time. I wish I could remember something about the flavour or aroma.
I am in Brissy, not too sure if I am ready to try making a heather ale at the moment. I started brewing a year ago and am still finding my feet in terms of what I can and can't get away with in terms of ingredients, quantities and methods etc.
I tried ordering a case of it from the website but they don't ship to Oz. Might have to get my relos in England to send me some :^)

DSC_0313.jpg

If you're in Brizzy, the Scratch Bar in Milton currently have our Celtic Red (Heather Ale) on the hand pump.

Cheers Ross
CraftBrewer/Bacchus Brewing Co.

If you're in Brizzy, the Scratch Bar in Milton currently have our Celtic Red (Heather Ale) on the hand pump.

Cheers Ross
CraftBrewer/Bacchus Brewing Co.

Damn. I was off down Mount Tamborine to visit MT Brewery today.

Hows about a recipe suggestion Ross?

Not asking for your commercial.. but you know.. couple a hints?

Latest posts

Back